Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Engine revs "hanging" after changing gear

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2000, 08:39 PM
Shimster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just changed the fuel filter on my ’93 Legacy Turbo and the engine seems to "hang" for a second to two after changing gear. The revs come down in the end, but it makes changes very awkward, it happens mostly as the engine warms up for up to 5 minutes, but is still slightly noticeable after this! I disconnected the battery when changing the filter (to avoid potential sparks), have I messed up the ECU? I have run the car for about 300 miles and I have tried fuel injector cleaner but no real change.
I would be very grateful if any body had any ideas what is causing this.
Thanks in advance
Alex
PS I am very impressed by this forum, very informative and knowledgeable comments
Old 03 October 2000, 09:13 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Hi Shimster

Welcome to the board! The only time I've seen something like was a few years ago on a mates Vauxhall. The throttle cable had become slightly stretched and the throttle was hanging open - which led to a similar problem to the one you described.

I've never heard of the problem you describe on a Subaru - have you spoken to your dealer? It might be worth getting them to check it out. I'm don't know whereabouts in the UK you are, but there will be plenty of people willing to recommend a garage if you don't have a 'regular'.

Cheers

Chris
Old 04 October 2000, 01:10 PM
Shimster
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your note Chris, I do not think it is a stretched cable as it suddenly occured after changing the fuel filter. I would be very interested if anyone knows of good garage/mechanic, with Subaru experience, in the Southampton area, the local agent is in Botley (Sparshat), too far out of town and toooo expensive.
Cheers
Alex
Old 05 October 2000, 08:09 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Smile

Alex

No problem - I didn't think it would be the throttle cable, but it is the only thing I had heard of before. You might be best posting a new topic in the 'General' section asking for dealer recommendations as more people read that and you would probably get a better response.

You could also try doing a couple of searches, because the question of recommended garages comes up quite a lot.

Cheers

Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris L (edited 05 October 2000).]