Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

oil levels

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2000, 08:07 PM
scooby2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

has anyone ever had problems with engine oil level because i am i have done 2000 appox in the last 4 weeks and have had to top up the oil three times eash time i checked the oil it was below the low mark took the car back to the dealer and they topped it up and said to keep checking it and if it happens again bring it back well it's happen again two weeks after so back again to the dealer who topped it up and reported the subaru who told me drive 500 mls and bring it back to the dealer , in the mean time i worried that it will do some damage so any help would greatly
received.
Old 29 September 2000, 09:07 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

Sounds a bit worrying this...My car is MY99 and hardly uses a drop....doesn't matter what sort of driving conditions.Since I've had the car it's not needed a top up at all between oil changes....even after extended high speed use.
Sorry ,but to me it sounds like there's a problem...if no oil appears to be leaking from the engine,my guess is that the oil control rings haven't bedded in properly(possibly with glazed cylinder bores) or have maybe broken, both would cause the engine to burn oil....not too good for the catalytic converter either...so I'd get it looked at asap!
It could be that during the running in period one or more cylinders/piston rings haven't bedded in properly...I've seen this before on engine rebuilds where the cylinder honeing wasn't done well enough (even on a rally prepared blueprinted engine) where the utmost care is taken......
Hope this helps....
The other usual cause of severe oil burning is worn valve guides or duff valve guide seals....they would not be worn,but could be ill fitted?...
PS I've assumed that the car is relatively new....

[This message has been edited by crusher (edited 29 September 2000).]
Old 30 September 2000, 04:47 PM
scooby2000
Scooby Regular

thanks for that it is going into the dealer monday so that they can drive it for 50 miles or so to see the oil drops etc... but it does sound like a oil control ring problem or something like it the only problem i can't see any signs of oil smoke we will see monday
by the way it a 99my

cheers neil
Old 01 October 2000, 09:29 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi
I questioned my (main) dealer when I got home from my service, only to find that the oil level was about 4-5mm below max, he said they run at that level for some reason. Since then I have done 5000mls and haven't used a drop.
Just a thought, are you being too critical? or has drop of the bottom of the dipstick?
Ron
Old 02 October 2000, 11:29 AM
Martin Cook
Scooby Regular

There are a number of levels on the dipstick and I was told by my dealer that you should fill it to the hole second from top and not the top notch. I have always done this and have never needed to put any oil in and my car gets very well used

Martin
Old 02 October 2000, 06:24 PM
scooby2000
Scooby Regular

cheers lads

the level was below the min mark each time i checked it took it in today and the dealers took it for a spin the test after subaru told them to and sods law it's looks ok but was told to monitor for 500 mls anyway and keep checking every 100 mls so fingers crossed it will be ok anyway if it does go it's covered under warranty.

i can't understand it really the 95my i had never used a drop