Exhaust choices - Devil?

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2000, 01:21 PM
gavwright
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Gents,

I am at present awaiting the call from Holland to tell me my MY00 4-dr is ready. In the meantime, the wait is giving me time to consider my options on what I want to do to the car when I get it!

Here's a thought for you. Almost everybody seems to go for a Scoobysport exhaust. However, I like to be a bit different. I fitted my last car (Pug 106 Rallye) with a Devil exhaust - straight through, no cat, Group N. And it was fabulous. Really good noise (rather like a Formula Ford, along with the K & N 57i filter), although a little boomy round 3,000 rpm. It increased power and torque and moved the torque curve down (very important on the 106 Rallye, as with a 1294cc engine a bit lacking in torque).

I have just spoken to Automotif, the importers, and the chap there (Bob Pearson, seems very helpful) tells me that Devil developed their exhaust for the Impreza together with Subaru Japan specifically to bring the torque curve down about 5-600 rpm. They achieve this by having TWO pipes from the cat back into the back box. Don't ask me why, but apparently it works better. Then they finish it off with a twin DTM style outlet. 329 quid all-in, inc VAT. They also do a rear cat replacement pipe for 99 quid inc VAT. Supersprint can take care of the front cat for about 200 quid.

As an aside, he says they also have dealt with Scorpion, and they have had a lot of unhappy customers, regarding the quality. They now only deal with Magnex (goes without saying - top quality, although not my preference),Devil and Supersprint.

Comments, please?

Cheers,

Gav Wright
MY00 (or will it be 01 by the time it arrives?????) 4-dr 555 bleu from Holland
Old 12 July 2000, 02:07 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Talking

The best way always is to compare if you can the different models before you buy. Go for a spin in cars with the different boxes so you can hear the difference.

Gethin.
Magnex 6x9
Old 12 July 2000, 07:59 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

DTM, errrrrrrrr...BUMPER BURNER!, and besides its so yesterday!

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 12-07-2000).]
Old 13 July 2000, 09:38 AM
BladeRnnr
Scooby Regular

Cool

oooo your soooo fashion Polizei, Sunil,

ow you doin mate what do you think the best exhaust combo then?

m
Old 13 July 2000, 07:06 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

I just use a common cheap setup of SS and Magnex. No melted paint on my bumper and i dont have a touring car either!
Old 13 July 2000, 11:18 PM
phill .m.
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Gav,
Sounds like your man is trying to sell you one of his systems!
I have a Scorpion and its excellent quality with a great sound.
It's off the car at the moment because i'm also waiting for my new 555 Blue from Belgium.
If you live close enough you're welcome to try it,as my car's not due until september.

Cheers Phill.
Old 14 July 2000, 07:14 AM
rsnk
Scooby Newbie

Gav,
I have used the Devil "limited edition" DTM style exhaust on my MY98.
It is as they told you developed by Devil in cooperation with STI-Japan.
To get maximum gain you should use the system as designed (back box+catless middle section).
On my chiptuned MY98 the system gave a very noticable gain in torque and it revved up easier to high rpms.
The sound has a very nice tone but on long trips it is quite loud in my opinion.
Just about everyone who likes Scoobys and heared it, sayd it was a very nice sound.
Quality:
-The twin DTM piece tends to turn yellow as it is single wall stainless, so if you want the chrome look, it will require regular polishing
-the back box and the double pipe are black painted but the paint on my exhaust blistered and came off (but well, who is looking under the car and it doesn't show from the outside)
-The catless middle section is in plain unpainted stainless, looks high quality
All pipes are bigger diameter than stock!
Make sure the twin DTM clears your rear bumper and the paint will not be damaged (perfect on my car for more than a year).
Good luck,
René
Old 14 July 2000, 08:27 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I have a full Scorpion system and have to say I find it hard to believe that anybody would complain about the quality.
Besides, they come with a lifetime warranty (albeit a dodgy one! ).
I've only ever heard good things about them personally, from owners of several different cars.

Stef.
Old 14 July 2000, 10:04 AM
gavwright
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi!
Thanks for all your comments - as to Scorpion, Bob said the complaints were all (mainly?) about failed welds - potentially because of the inherent fragility of stainless steel, when dealing with sudden bangs. I can't comment further - that's just what he said. As far as the Devil goes, I know Devil are cracking exhausts, and thanks René for your "user's comments". Very useful. I know exactly what you mean when you say it's loud on long trips - my Group N straight through was mental! As long as it's not boomy, that's fine.
My favourite trick in my 106 Rallye was just driving by parked cars and perhaps revving up a bit. Amazing how many car alarms were set off purely by the vibrations from the exhaust! Tee hee.
Anyway - I was wavering a bit, but I think that makes my mind up. Scorpion may or may not be OK, SS are very common and too quiet (and expensive!), not terribly interested in a Jap one and Supersprint are also expensive. Magnex I don't like, again from experience. Just personal preference. At £329 I'd say the Devil's the best option, with my experience of them. Oh - and of course I'll get the cat replacement pipe as well
Thanks again - feel free to try and change my mind!
Gav

[This message has been edited by gavwright (edited 14-07-2000).]
Old 14 July 2000, 08:00 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I had a Scorpion system fitted to my Golf GTI and after about four years the welds around the tail pipe did indeed fail. Remembering the lifetime guarantee I phoned Motech, the supplier, and within two days there was a brand new replacement on my doorstep. They didn't even want to see the old one!
Old 14 July 2000, 08:01 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

BTW didn't I hear that Scorpion make the exhausts for Prodrive?
Old 14 July 2000, 11:23 PM
gavwright
Scooby Regular

Red face

I'm wavering...........(so fickle!)
Old 14 July 2000, 11:29 PM
gavwright
Scooby Regular

OK - here's a question for you. Who's got a wav of their exhaust they want to forward to me? I've heard SS, so I'm not mithered about that - but Scorpion and Devil in particular I'm interested in. If you want to show off with another - please feel free!
If you could email me @ Scooby@dazzleyou.com that would be good.
Cheers!

Gav
Old 15 July 2000, 12:28 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had a Scorpion a couple of cars back and the welds on the back box gave way within 6 months of motorway driving...i got a refund and bought something better.
Old 15 July 2000, 12:33 PM
gavwright
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

So we're back with the pretend touring car look and frazzled bumpers......
Old 15 July 2000, 03:11 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Wait until you hear a Scorpion first......
I've had mine for 50,000 miles and it still looks fine to me. If they change it when (if) it goes wrong then there's no problem anyway!

Stef.
Old 15 July 2000, 07:11 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

pah, boy racer

Do Scorpion pay for all the labour charges for removal/refit too?

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 15-07-2000).]
Old 15 July 2000, 07:13 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

pah, boy racer

Do Scorpion pay for all the labour charges for removal/refit too?
Old 16 July 2000, 06:06 PM
John Gorman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ive changed my system to:-
Magnex middle section and an exact copy of the Blitz back box complete with 4.5in tailpipe. both are straight through and look and sound brill...

Old 16 July 2000, 08:07 PM
gavwright
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi John,
'exact copy' - where did you get this from? And how much?? Mind you.....I presume you have to check the exhaust for birds nesting before you start 'er up, with a 4.5 incher? Or do the cats chase them out?!!

BTW - got no wavs yet. I've done a general search on the Web and found a few (not many), and to be honest Colin McRae or Carlos Sainz are tops at the moment

Old 16 July 2000, 09:44 PM
John Gorman
Scooby Regular

Wink

gavwright,
I got my system from Falkland Performance Centre in Fife. The back box is a copy made for them localy. It is the same as the Blitz but with a little more sound deadning. Thus a wee bit quieter.The box cost £220 + vat. This is with SIDC discount. Lifetime warranty is encluded. Call Kevin Adam on 01592 773677, or find there web site.

CHEERS............
Old 16 July 2000, 11:15 PM
gavwright
Scooby Regular

Red face

Oh No! Another option to ponder......
Thx,

Gav
PS found the web site, e-mailed Kevin. Ta again

[This message has been edited by gavwright (edited 16-07-2000).]
Old 18 July 2000, 11:27 AM
harryh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'd like to second Gav's request for WAVs of non-standard pipes, so get out to your driveways with your microphones guys and get recording, please! Don't worry if the neighbours think you're weird or some sort of exhaust pipe loving pervert (hee hee, probably wouldn't be reading this thread if you were'nt all weird exhaust pipe lovers ) So post your WAV's guys so we can see whose Scooby (my sister calls them "Pretzels") sounds the best.
Old 26 September 2000, 05:52 PM
gavwright
Scooby Regular

Cool

Right - I went for a Devil backbox and de-cat in the end - £395, so not exactly cheap, but it sounds good and it's helped the torque curve along. Pre-exhaust when changing up I could fall out of the powerband, whereas now there's no problem. Looks good (different....DTM....) doesn't catch my bumper, Sunil, so no nasty burning paint smells....
Not too loud (not as loud as the Devil on my 106 Rallye), but a very satisfying burble at tickover to more of a roar higher up the rev range. Never screams, but then it's not really a screaming engine. It makes the driving experience more complete.....it was just sooooooooo quiet before!
Everyone who has seen/heard it reckons either;
"What do you need one of those for?" (the wife) or
"Sounds meaty/good/sets it off" etc....
The car is now more responsive, and I'm well chuffed!
Gav
Old 27 September 2000, 08:14 AM
jwhitton
Scooby Regular

Just been to Powerstation in Cheltenham and asked about pipes. I was given a ride in the white STi in Banzai magazine with a full Mongoose system. It was not as loud as expected. No cats, when like stink but there were also numerous mods on the car. See latest mag for details.

Anyone have experience of a Mongoose system?
Aren't they made for Collins Motorsport by some outfit in Skelmersdale?

jon
Old 27 September 2000, 12:31 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Hi All

I had a Scorpion exhaust on my old R19 16V couple of mates that work with metal (toolmakers) were quite impressed with build quality its just a shame the brakets where in the wrong place and had to be modified otherwise nice rumble and not to loud

Simon
Old 27 September 2000, 01:01 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Gavwright

SS exhaust too quiet??

Wife and I both have a UK MY00 each with full SS from turbo back and it is LLLOOOOOUUUUUDDDDD!!!!!

Still driving down narrow streets in 2nd gear speeding up, slowing down then speeding up again (especially in town on Saturday afternoons to see how many people you can get to turn round in shock - don't laugh you lot you've all done it too).
Even been known to stand out in the driveway to listen to her drive away cos the sound is so fab!!
Old 27 September 2000, 02:10 PM
gavwright
Scooby Regular

Red face

Dave;
Turbo back......doesn't that include the VERY LOUD DOWNPIPE!!? I haven't gone for this option......yet.......after all, my baby's only six weeks old!
I totally agree with the big cheesey grin factor of 'playing around' with a juicy exhaust sound - that's exactly what I used to do in my 106 when I had the Devil on that.

Heh, heh, heh!!!
Old 27 September 2000, 04:25 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

GavWright - very loud downpipe - that's the one!!!

I think this is one of those beauty is in the eye of the beholder situations - one man's loud is another's quiet etc.
Some complain this setup is too loud - it doesn't bother me.

I know my wife is now complaining that the exhaust on her car is not loud enough.....!!

It's a bit of a long way from you to SS - as Gethin says see if you can track down some others round your area with the SS d/pipe you can listen to.

BTW it seems to make a worthwhile difference to performance......

I previously had a Pug 306GTI-6 with a full Magnex GRP A system on - 7300 rpm limited it was brilliant going under motorway underpasses bouncing off the rev limiter in second - sad aren't we!!!!

Old 27 September 2000, 05:30 PM
gavwright
Scooby Regular

Smile

Woooooooooooooaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!
Heaven! Sorta like my 106 Rallye with straight through Group N Devil and K & N cone filter. Brilliant in tunnels - especially when feathering the throttle just by the rev limiter.....Probably not as loud as your full-on spitting popping SS system, but for a wee 1294cc car.....enough to get me picked up a couple of times - "Is there something wrong with your exhaust, Sir?" "No - it's supposed to sound like that." "Hmm." Must have been only *just* the right side of legal...
I didn't bother with my 306 Rallye as I wasn't intending keeping it very long. Trouble is, I've now been trying to sell it since May/June, in readiness for my new baby - and still no joy. It's in Autocar again today. £8,950, May '99, 22k miles, lovingly looked after.......
I may have considered SS more if I'd been closer to them, but I knew Devil were good, and I'm happy with it. I'll make the choice between Supersprint and SS downpipes later on. I haven't seen the Supersprint one, but it's the one the guys at the Devil importers (Automotif, M/Cr) recommend, at £200.

Cheers,

Gav (I'm going to have to change my user name aren't I? Fed up being called 'gavwright'!)