Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ScoobySport Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2000, 02:36 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many people seem to swear by the SS Backbox. I have a couple of questions:

1. Does it really make a difference to the driveability of the engine (say as compared to the complete PPP package);

2. Does IM say it's OK to put on or is it down to individual dealers whether the warranty will be honoured?

any comments appreciated
Jason
Old 15 August 2000, 02:53 PM
Denz
Scooby Regular

think you need a friendly dealer!

i got back box and it sound wooooderful when hot! Getting full system tommorrow!

Denz
Old 15 August 2000, 03:30 PM
johnr
Scooby Regular

I asked my dealer (Lancaster Pangbourne) and they said it had no effect on the warranty. They would even source and fit it if required.

John
Old 15 August 2000, 05:10 PM
Spikey
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have a SS backbox and downpipe. Centre section is a magnex. All fitted to a Y2000 car. My dealer (Adams Aylesbury) has no problem with it, in fact they complimented me on the full system when it was serviced last! And the car sounds awsome.... drivability greatly increased.
Old 15 August 2000, 06:14 PM
P
Scooby Regular

Question

Not trying to hijack your post but I have another question about the SS system...

I've seen threads mentioning having the downpipe 'HPC coated' - what is this, what benefits does it give over a standard downpipe, how much etc...???

Thanks

Matt
Old 16 August 2000, 12:05 AM
Steve Howat
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine has just got his new my2000 car, ordered with the Prodrive goodies like the wheels, colour coded bits and the exhaust. When I saw it he had a Scoobysport backbox fitted, not the prodrive one and this is backed by his warranty. I am led to believe that Subaru UK regard the SS backbox as a valid option on new cars. As for the rest of the system, that's up to the individual. Mind you, he also lives about 4 miles from Scoobysport and bought the car from the local dealer. Maybe Pete is part of the Essex Mafia and has all the local dealers under his protection LOL
Old 16 August 2000, 08:37 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I found the SS backbox gave no noticeable improvement in performance - unless a nice sound is classed as this!

It was actually too loud for me (I live in a *conservative* Swiss village!) so swapped it with an STi one (standard backbox - single pipe).

I'd guess the backbox only becomes a weak link to airflow once you've sorted the downpipe/centre sections....IMHO, of course!

Lagging the d/p will reduce under-bonnet temps and improve gasflow efficiency/scavenging (because of higher "in-pipe" temps).

Does Scoobysport offer it's d/p ready lagged yet?! Or HPC coated?!

Regards
Richard
Old 16 August 2000, 08:52 AM
Otis
Scooby Regular

You do need a friendly dealer I'm afraid. I spoke to IM and they said it would be taken into account with any engine related warranty claim. The dealer I purchased from would not entertain it.

Otis.

[This message has been edited by Otis (edited 13 October 2000).]
Old 16 August 2000, 10:16 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Most dealers don't have a problem with the backboxes. The SS (and others - I use a Magnex bb - worth a listen to as a good alternative and 100 quid cheaper) are of such good quality that they are probably better than the standard fit item. I think that Subaru would have a hard time proving that engine failure was down to the type of backbox you are running. A complete system is another matter and I would speak to your dealer before doing that.

I was also advised to keep hold of the original back box just in case there were any issues under a warranty claim.

I don't think the backbox on its own would produce any significant improvement in performance, but it certainly sounds better . Try removing the resonator as well

Chris
Old 16 August 2000, 05:36 PM
Dave Coulshaw
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Chris L:
<B>Try removing the resonator as well

[/quote]

How do you remove the resonator in a back box??
Old 16 August 2000, 06:02 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Dave,

I think Chris was on about the resonator in the air intake system (?). Basically before the air gets to the filter it has to pass through a restrictive black plastic box that reduces the sounds of the turbo and wastgate. If you do a search there are instructions on how to remove it.

Makes it sound like you've got an induction kit fitted

DaveW
Old 16 August 2000, 07:28 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Smile

He he

Spot on Dave W - Apologies if I didn't make that clear - or is someone taking the p***?

Chris
Old 17 August 2000, 05:37 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Question

As a new owner (97 WRX), can anyone recommend a replacement for the standard exhaust system that will improve performance but not increase sound levels to any appreciable degree? I was "allowed" the Scooby on the basis that it would remain a sensible family car (yeah right!), but i'd be happy to upgrade the exhaust if it doesn't mean deafening the kids when thy're in the back. Any suggestions welcome....
Old 19 August 2000, 09:06 AM
schuey
Scooby Regular

My local dealer said no problem with the SS backbox and would even fit one for me. No stock so they ordered one. After waiting 3 months and several viits/phone calls to dealer, I got well and truly p***** off.
Phoned Pete at Scoobysport and got one delivered the next day, also fitted ITG filter. No drastic increase in perfromance as still got origonal down pipe fitted.
Makes a great noise and most people down my road have commented on it.
The first few times I came home with it my neighbour kept opening her door thinking it was her son turning up on his bike!!!!!

Old 19 August 2000, 07:27 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Thanks All
This warranty things a pain isn't it. I think if I do anything now it had best be prodrive...
Jason
Old 21 August 2000, 08:49 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Talking

Don't worry Jason. I've had both the Scoobysport and the Prodrive backbox. You would find no difference in performance between the 2 IMO and both sound far better than the twin pea shooter that comes as standard. The only problem with the Prodrive box is it costs £100 more .
Tell your insurance company if you change it. I told mine the truth - I wanted more noise, added £12 + admin = £24 to insurance.
Prodrive have started to sell a new backbox, with an oval pipe - this looks pretty good, ask your dealer about it.
As regards the s/s vs the whole PPP, no contest, you would need a s/s, centre section and a unichip(or similar) to get the PPP performance on a MY99. You would probably save around £750, but, depending on dealer, you would be risking warranty then.
Cheers
Chuck