Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Oxygen Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2000, 07:15 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all, my check engine light has been coming on occasionally in the last couple of weeks, I have had the car connected to the select monitor and it says the O2 sensor is failing/has failed??? Going to get it fixed on warranty, but:-

What i would be interested to know is, what effect would this have on the engine? as most people that know me, know, i dont get very good mileage out of a tank, ie less than 200 miles between low fuel lights, would the O2 sensor failing cause it to run very rich, or am i just clutching at straws and hoping it will fix that

Old 23 July 2000, 03:57 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

I had my sensor go down after fitting a downpipe. Had a new one fitted and it made no differance at all.
Just thought I would add. I had to pay for this myself lost warrentee because of the downpipe.

[This message has been edited by bob (edited 23-07-2000).]
Old 23 July 2000, 10:12 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

Ian -

you are correct in assuming the car would run rich all the time without the O2 sensor working properly - unlikely to cause any damage but higher fuel consumption and more soot than usual from the exhaust.

Mine also failed shortly after downpipe change - would appear that they don't respond well to being handled/knocked about - or perhaps contaminated with gasket sealant or other harmful substance. Circa £90 to replace.

Paul W
Old 23 July 2000, 11:54 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

My downpipe hasnt been replaced but the gearbox has been out a couple of times, so it may be what did for it

Loads of soot on the tailpipe, and less than 200 Miles out of a tank.
Old 25 July 2000, 08:19 AM
Julian
Scooby Regular

Ian,

I can certainly confirm O2 (or lambda) sensor failure will have a major impact on fuel consumption - went up by nearly 15%. I also found that it was a pig to drive with even more hesitation and stuttering than usual when the engine was cold and warm. I'm still not happy with how the car runs once warm as it is still hesitating and lurching between 2500 and 3100 RPM - but I've had no check engine light since the lambda sensor was replaced.

Julian.
MY99 5dr

Julian
Old 26 July 2000, 12:40 PM
Yosser
Scooby Regular

Talking

Not sure if this is the same thing-
I had a downpipe fitted (Scoobysport) and almost immediatly I got error code 24 (air idle sensor failure)about £130 to replace - got hold of a can of carb cleaner and dumped the whole lot in.
Idles alot better now - and doesn't die after a long motorway run.
What affect does the air idle sensor make?
Will it affect fuel consumption?
Cheers
Michael
Sti 3 5dr
Old 26 July 2000, 12:44 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Error code 32 i think it was, came up as Oxygen sensor! I did a long trip at fast motorway speeds today, and got 260 miles out of a tank, first time in a long while, and my usual commute is slow off boost stuff, so some of the comments people have made on the 22b BBS confirm the findings, its getting done on Saturday so will have to keep an eye on it ?