Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Difference between Magnex and SS centre sec

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2000, 12:08 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I thought the ScoobySport centre section, was a just a normal mid-section with the cat removed.

The Magnex do two types of de-catted mid-sections. One has a box (to reduce noise) and the other is a straight through pipe.

On the old car, I run a standard mid-cat with a SS backbox, and downpipe. On my current car, I run the same SS backbox and downpipe, along with a Magnex 'boxed' mid-section.

The new car is quieter, and is producing more BHP. As a side note, my new car, compared very well against similar cars with the straight through Magnex pipe. In some cases, my car produced better figures on the rolling road. Although there are lot's of side issues to be taken into consideration, before assuming one mid-section is better than another.

That said, I'm very happy with my Magnex mid-section!!
Old 04 July 2000, 11:01 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Question

I will be ordering an SS backbox hopefully in the near future. At the same time I want to get a replacement centre section. What is the difference between the Magnex and the SS version? Is the Magnex better? If so why?

Thanks for any advice.

P.
Old 04 July 2000, 07:03 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Like Andy said, the Scoobysport centre section is a standard cat section, with the cat cut out, and a straight through pipe welded in.

I was told that this was the only sensible option, as the mounting flanges on third-party centre sections usually caused problems when the time came to fit them.

Having said that, my straight through Magnex section was a straightforward fit ... took about an hour of lying on my back in the drive.

The Magnex pipe cost ~£65 from ABP, plus I get to keep my original cat, just in case I want to revert my car to standard at some time. The Scoobysport one is ~£45 but I believe this is only available as an exchange.

Sounds a lot meatier through my Scoobysport backbox now, if a little over loud at times. Seemed to improve eagerness of the car to pull right up to the top end too. Go for it!

Andrew
Old 04 July 2000, 10:40 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

MTR

[This message has been edited by MTR (edited 17 September 2000).]
Old 05 July 2000, 10:07 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Cheers chaps,
SS Back and Magnex it is then. I am looking to mainly improve on the noise. Any BHP gains are a bonus. I had an engine back exhaust on the old Cav GSI and miss the noise. More improvements may happen later like the DP, ECU etc. But for the future it will remain fairly standard.
Thanks for the advise,

P.