Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Exhaust Noise in everyday life

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2003, 08:11 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For months and months i've been thinking of changing the H&S to a Firestorm or Afterburner, but I get a feeling that these monsters are a LOT louder than my H&S, in practice do people with them find they get a lot of unwanted attention?

I dont want to be pulled every 5 minutes and DO want to beable to drive down my local high street without looking like a total pratt.

However I want a better exhaust note in the countryside when i'm coming back from work as quickly as my car will carry me (or rather my nerves will allow).

SO, is it possible or cant you have your cake and eat it, are these monsters just TOO much for every day use? Is there a middle ground?
Old 26 November 2003, 08:19 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

An option would be to get something like the Blitz or HKS, which IIRC can have a removable bung - put the bung in for quieter cruising through town, take it out for noisy blats through the countryside.
Old 26 November 2003, 08:25 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

is the bung that easy to put in and out, ie. would one be wanting to hop out and do this mid journey? (while its hot for example)
Old 26 November 2003, 09:12 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

I think I remember reading some posts about these bungs rattling when fitted, is this the case?? I still think the H&S is a good sounding zorst.

Mike
Old 26 November 2003, 09:35 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

It all gets a bit 'personal' if you ask me.
IMO, noise level has little to do with noise quality. Some exhausts just make a racket, others sound good. Many do both, as the engine sounds good all by itself
I think the best sounding exahust I've heard (in combination with noise levels) is the boggo H&S 'classic' BB, with all cats, etc. in place. Sounds the part, doesn't drone - excellent. But a little impractical, given that the cats are still there... but that's my opinion
Is yours straight-through 2.5" H&S? As in 3" bellmouth >2.5" DP, 2.5" centre straight through, 2.5" H&S 'standard' BB? And is this noise level ok? If it is, IMO you're not going to get much of an improvement in 'quality', but can up the noise level somewhat. Simply switching to 3" from the DP back will make the system noisier, significantly more droney, but deeper. Not a lot deeper, as the higher resonances tend to over-rule the deep noises... for straight deep & mellow, you can't do better than an HKS Drager (Hyper is most certainly not mellow!). The Afterburner is "$%&£^&"^&ly noisy - given a 3" SS DP, it's setting off multiple car alarms at once noisy. A giggle to start with, but the first 3 hour journey isn't so much fun
I think I'll stop the driveling now & gie someone else a chance
Old 26 November 2003, 09:36 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Oh, and the bungs are 'interesting'. Haven't tried one meself, but from what I've heard, they either don't reduce the noise level much, and/or screw up the exhaust flow.
The easiest way to keep things quiet when you want to is simply to not drive like a nutter
Old 26 November 2003, 10:18 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

thanks for your comments, the drager sounds like an interesting exhaust, pricey tho
Old 26 November 2003, 10:19 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

thanks for your comments, the drager sounds like an interesting exhaust, pricey tho

i've got 2.5" straight through piping atm
Old 27 November 2003, 01:31 AM
Deako1
Scooby Regular

I have an '03 WRX, all cats in place, Afterburner BB

Sounds lovely.
Old 27 November 2003, 03:49 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Talking

I agree with nom on this one. I have a decatted exhaust which is capable of making MAD levels of noise. You soon learn how to drive around unwanted noise. It's easy to find the link between right foot and Db's Like a clutch biting point.
Around town and in ya street at 10pm be gentle, there isn't enough room to floor anything anyway and the car whilst still quite throaty, isn't offensive.
Out in the countryside, well we all know about that.
Another way of thinking about it. Boost = Noise

Mikey <vvvvvvvvvvrrrrrrrrOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM>
Old 27 November 2003, 04:42 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Yep, agree with Nom and MIkey.

I've got the Firesorm with full decat, yes, it can be very noisy, but as Mikey says, you learn to drive round it.

Only time it seems TOO loud for me is when i start it first thing in the morning, and it's idling that wee bit higher, so tend not to let it sit and warm up anymore.
Old 27 November 2003, 04:47 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

unfortunately this winter i'll be sitting outside my house for 10mins waiting for ice to clear thats my MAIN worry!
Old 27 November 2003, 05:46 PM
Eddoe
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Get a blitz mate, the sound is great and the bung is very easy to replace and take off!! I never have mine in though it just sounds too dam good!!!! (IMO)
Old 27 November 2003, 09:46 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Simplest solution might be some of that de-icer stuff? There seem to be lots of ways of getting rid of ice... how about sticking a sheet of card/plastic/whatever on the windscreen so that gets icy instead?
Might save you a few hassles!
Old 27 November 2003, 09:55 PM
sg72
Scooby Regular

Get it off mate!

What's the saying...

"Empty barrels. Make most noise".

Yeh. Thats the one!.

Cheers!

Good grief! Three exclamation marks.

Doh! four/five.

Steve.
Old 28 November 2003, 09:36 AM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Uh oh...

Steve's on the beer !

Would your neighbours be bothered ? Some may tolerate it..but mine are all old gits..and closing your car door results in twitchy curtains.

Unless you get up at some horrible hour in the morning, i wouldn't worry.