Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ECU Reset with green plugs under dash

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2000, 10:02 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone remember the web page explaining how to do an ECU reset/diagnostic with the green plugs under the dash? The page was part of a company web site in Australia I think.
Old 05 June 2000, 11:02 AM
TiGeR
Scooby Newbie

Old 05 June 2000, 11:23 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Thank you Sir
Old 06 June 2000, 12:34 AM
Andy Gough
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by James Neill:
<B>Can anyone remember the web page explaining how to do an ECU reset/diagnostic with the green plugs under the dash? The page was part of a company web site in Australia I think.[/quote]

Old 06 June 2000, 12:38 AM
Andy Gough
Scooby Regular

After putting Esso Super unleaded in my 95 WRX I noticed a loss of performance. I ran the tank as empty as I dared, filled up with BP Supergreen, drove home and disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Hey presto! loads of poke once more.
Old 06 June 2000, 03:04 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

Mmmmm......I am aware of 3 different ways to reset the ECU using the plugs under the dash.

1) Conversation with Ian Cook at Donnington.
2) The MRT rally site.
3) I think it was from a search on this BBS that spoke about driving for 30 seconds with the plugs connected!!

I do not believe all 3 can be correct so I use the battery disconnection method if ever I need to.

Anybody care to clarify the 'plugs under the dash' method once and for all?

Otis.
Old 06 June 2000, 06:03 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Otis

Numbers 2 and 3 are the same thing. The MRT site says ##see end of message##

It definately works - does everything MRT says. I've also had it confirmed by a friend who is a Subaru mechanic. It also appears to make the car run through some diagnostics routine when you first hold the accelerator down.

I used this method yesterday to cure the cut out problem I had when the solenoid got contaminated with oil when I overfilled. I first emptied some oil. Though the problem didn't go away then. Then I reset the ECU with the wires under the dash. At this point my mechanic friend said the solenoid opens and when you start the car the oil is blown out. Whatever diagnostics it did it worked, as I have no more cut outs.

Regards
James

MRT How to Tip
How to re-set your ECU unit.
ECU clear memory procedure is as follows:

With engine at operating temperature, turn engine off and place gear shift lever into park (auto transmission cars)
Locate the two ECU check connectors, for most cars they are located under the steering column and consist of a black plastic male and female connector, and a green male female connector. The exact location of the connectors varies with the different year models, but generally they are located under the steering column on the drivers side. With the ignition OFF connect black to black and green to green.
Turn on ignition and cycle the gearshift lever from park to neutral and back to park (auto transmission), depress the accelerator pedal to full throttle and hold for a few seconds, and then release. Start engine and then drive for at least one minute, keeping road speed above 11 Km/h.
ECU is now re-set
At this point the check engine light should start to flash the all clear signal (steady 1/2 second interval flashes). If the check engine light does not flash, or indicates some other sequence, there is a fault present in the system, and should be professionally checked for necessary repairs.

[This message has been edited by James Neill (edited 07-06-2000).]
Old 06 June 2000, 06:44 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Question

James

At which point do you disconnect the black and green plugs? Is it before or after you take it for a drive?

JMA
Old 07 June 2000, 09:01 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

You disconnect the plugs AFTER the drive. You only need to keep driving until the check engine light starts flashing (once every half second). I guess this means its passed all diagnostics and the ECU is reset. I then stopped the car and disconnected the plugs.

James
Old 07 June 2000, 01:36 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Thumbs up

Cheers James