Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2000, 12:41 AM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Scott,

Which bearings are you after?
I believe the rear wheel bearings are quite expensive if obtained from auth. dealer (around £60-70 for one wheel) and you'll also need new seals. If you're after the rear one I've got one lying around and can find out the catalogue number so you can order one from a regular bearing supplier - which should be MUCH cheaper (look in yellow pages, don't go to GG or Subaru Dealer!). I think the mfr of the brg is NTN so shouldn't be too much hassle.

As for the fitting I think you do need to press (or bang ) out the races - so the outer diameters of the shells are *probably* non-tapered for an interference fit.
As I said, I've got a rear one in that I can have a look at to confirm these details once I get home,

Andy

PS. I don't know anything about the front bearings, sorry.
Old 26 May 2000, 07:37 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wondering how easy the wheel bearings are to change on a Subaru Impreza. I have done many over the years on various Fords. The method being to bang the old bearing shells out using a Brass drift then use the old shells to knock in the new ones.

Are Subaru bearings tappered shells or straight.

Can you get them for your local 'Lucas' or Motorfactor outlet or do you need to go to Graham Goode or a Subaru Dealer.

Bearing in mind (no pun intended) that I Have a 93 WRX, can I just quote that it's a 94 UK car and expect the same part ???????
Old 26 May 2000, 09:18 PM
Steve L
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Rear wheel bearings are one piece,need to be pressed in and out,best to buy genuine parts as you are sure they are going to fit.Suggest going to local Sub dealer.Usually rears that fail,always take apart new bearing and grease before fitting as they don't use enough grease when assembled at original supplier.Never known a front to fail before.Email if you need any help
Steve