Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Nurburgring 24 hours

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2000, 10:22 PM
PhilBennett
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This will come around in June and there is a group N class which is gagging to be won.

The 24hours race is part of the FIA International group N series. Think is (and this amazes me!) it is always won by a BMW M3 - not the Evo but the old 3-litre car. I tested the championship winning car at Donington a year ago and there was nothing fantastic about the car - but it is solid and get's the job done.

To put it's performance into perspective it laps the National circuit in high 1:19's.

The strength of this car is it's gearing however - on the long straight on the old Nurburgring it pulls over 170mph.

I contacted Ralliart about building an Evo V (as was then) but there just wasn't a suitable gear / final drive homologated in "N".

I was speaking to a friend last night and he asked me about doing the race - and it got me thinking again.

Does anyone know what top speed we could get on the tallest homologated top gear / final drive??

You see I think a WRX on the 24 hours of Nurburgring would walk it - especially as it always rains at some point.

If it did win I think it would be the first international win for Subaru.
Old 02 March 2000, 10:41 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
speak to barrats of canterbury. They have been running the most succesfull Group N rally car over the last few years. They should know the answer.

I would have thought a 4x4 would be at a big dissadvantage unless it rained due to transmission losses at high speed.

worth an investigation though. You could allways use high profile tyres on the 17" wheels to up the gearing if top speed is what counts round there, wouldn't be pretty in the bends but might do the job overall?
Old 03 March 2000, 01:24 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Wow,
that would be pretty cool. Does the Impreza enter any other form of international motor racing apart from rallying?
I am suprised that they are not involved in any track racing as they are more than competent, as we prove on our track days. Just wait and see what pete's ra would do on the track at donnington, i suppose that would give us a good indication.
Cem, frothing at the mouth
Old 03 March 2000, 03:07 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Oh yes, a Impreza Wagon was raced in the Japanese GT300 championship last year. Another Impreza Wagon took part in last year's JTCC and various Impreza WRX's raced in Japanese N1 championships.
Maybe a Gr.N Skyline R34 will do the job there.

Old 03 March 2000, 03:59 PM
JohnS

I don't know if the gearing for the UK car has been homolgated, but it would permit speeds of 180mph+ at 7,000 rpm.

I think the trouble with the car would be actually getting it anywhere near those sort of speeds, as the aerodynamics aren't that great, and I reckon you would need something like 400bhp to get it close.

Under group N specs, I doubt if you could squeeze much more than 300bhp from the Impreza engine.
Old 03 March 2000, 04:03 PM
JohnS

Oops, fogot to say that Falkland Performance Centre in Glenrothes are building a Group N race car to enter into this years championship which takes place at various tracks around the country. You could give them a call to see how they are progressing with it.

I think the brakes would be the biggest limiting factor in a long race.
Old 08 March 2000, 09:02 AM
jwhitton
Scooby Regular

There was a report in CCC mag about the 24hr at The Ring, there was a shot of a diesel taxi that finished.

Alot of exotic stuff wont make the 24 hours but a milder tuned old favourite such as the M3 can and does! But agreed I think a Scooby would do wonders there.

What MSA license do you need, Interational A?

jon