Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Oily Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 1999, 03:39 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I changed my ITG air filter the other night for a K&N 57i air inductor. I noticed that about a quarter of the ITG filter was covered in oil!!

Checked the MAF sensor, but noting was on it! I guess the ITG was doing it's job! Just a couple of questions:

1) Where is the oil coming from? (Friend has suggested it's coming from the oil breather, and fitting a K&N oil breather filter)

2) What can I use to clean up the ITG?

3) Does this explain the poor results I got on the rolling road day at Power Engineering?

The 57i is brilliant, I can hear the induction noise over the ScoobySport backbox and downpipe! Throttle response seems to be improved!

Andy
Old 17 December 1999, 11:08 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andy,

when I looked at my OEM filter after replacing it with an ITG, I also noticed that it was covered in dirt over about a quarter of it's area.

This was after covering approx 7000 miles.

I assumed that this was the area of the airbox where in incoming air stream hit the filter, but if it is oil from crank case ventilation then it won't be doing the air-flow properties of the standard paper element any good at all, and presumably the same would apply to a lesser extent to a foam filter.

Does anyone have an explanation - is this normal for the car or not, and is this contamination a problem or not?

Thanks,

Alex