Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

gear shifts

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 1999, 05:00 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove two STis (3s) today and have to say that I am very impressed. Bit dissapointed in the lack of kick up the backside from the turbos, but they are smaller than on my MY95 wrx so to be expected. The major thing that made the car so much better to drive than mine was the gear shift.

I dont know if this was the box or the linkage, I was hoping someone could shed some light.

Are these parts interchangable and semi easily available, if so someone point me in the right direction, it will maybe bridge the gap between the feeling of mine against the sti.

On a second note, can someone explain (briefly open and closed blocks) and perhaps indicate where I am likely to notice the apparently weaker engine of the sti 4 over the 3. Since I much prefer the interior of the newer car (airbags a big plus) the only thing against it excluding even smaller turbo is the "weaker engine". Am I ever going to realise this difference without tuning the nuts off it?
Old 13 December 1999, 09:53 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Does no one know the answers?
Old 13 December 1999, 10:50 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Adam,

Does your '95 WRX have a quickshift fitted?. This will give you a considerable reduction in the amount of gear level movement required to change gears. The downside is that the amount of effort required goes up a bit, and you may be able to defeat the syncromesh if you try too hard. Well worth a try, as the costs of the kit aren't too great.

AFAIK, the difference between open and closed deck blocks is that the closed deck has a flat top surface which increases the rigidity and mechanical strength of the block, and provides better support for the head gasket, which allows you to run higher boost levels. This is the block which is used as the base for competition engines which will run very high boost levels.

The open desk construction is easier to cast, and therefore cheaper. Unless you are going to be doing some serious engine work the block should be ok. Apparently conrod bolts and conrods will give you problems first. Ask Firefox or DYNT for specific advice, but a mild reboost shouldn't be a problem for engines with open desk construction.

Rgds,

Alex
Old 14 December 1999, 11:50 AM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Adam

I'm looking at a QS stick from GGR (quick plug! phone Simon Chambo on 01162 440080) at £80 for the stick or £180 for the entire stick system (levers, bushes etc).

The only time I went in an STi (Alistair ) I noticed the 'short' stick. This must be a cut down version of the quick shift. I didn't like the size of it. I prefer height but with minimal movement. If you want a short stick just buy a standard QS and cut it, then re-thread the top (any metalworker could do that).

PilchM (just to keep the trend going!)