Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox Oil

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 1999, 02:37 AM
Mark Coleman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Over the past 12 months I've seen many postings about gearbox problems with changing gear and the apparant gears snatching as though the clutch wasn't depressed properly so I thought I would share my experiences a remarkable cure as I think it could benefit a lot of members

Some twelve months ago I was doing some hand brake turns on a beach in Wales when the gear change from first to second became very notchy. Over the following weeks the change go progressivly worse and then also became apparant from second to third.

I lived with it for several months and then decided to change the oil for fully synthetic just before I went to Spain with the SIDC. This made a big difference and seemed to cure the problem until I returned home that is.

The changes were getting worse and now had spread to 3rd and forth gear. I then prepared myself for either a new gearbox or a rebuild.

Some points which I felt were inconsistant didn't add up. When cold gearchanges were ok. When car had been running for half an hour or more especially on long motorway driving the gearchanges were very bad but if the car was driven hard using the box to the full, the probelm disappeared completely until normal driving was resumed.

Anyway the decision was made to change the gearbox oil yet again for a different brand of fully synthetic.

The results have been amazing - not one gearchnage problem - hot or cold and I've now covered over a thousand miles or so.

I have also learnt that the same oil is used in the Impreza WRC gearbox. This decision was made after other oils failed under the extreme heat and power.

The name of the oil - Silkolene
Authorised Reseller - Scoobysport

Its not often I jump up and down about anything but I feel this information might help some of you guys with similar problems.

Old 25 November 1999, 01:23 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Thats interesting - I had exactly the same problems you descibed on my Cossie - never did know what was wrong with the gearbox, especially after about 50 miles driving, and OK on cold. - now I know

How quickly does the Subaru lose gearbox oil. I used the gearbox oil dipstick the other day on my sti5 and reckon there was nothing in there -car has now done 7000 miles, and gearbox is getting a little notchier - I think I'll get it looked at
Old 25 November 1999, 01:44 PM
sonu
Scooby Regular

Question

Guys

how easy is it to changes the gearbox oil?

Is it something the dealer needs to do?

Thanks

Sonu

Old 26 November 1999, 01:06 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi guys...

Depending on the frequency of changes.. it might be worth investing in a syringe (?)..

I have a motortrade one, designed for this purpose... the body is about 14 inches long.. made out of metal... designed for sucking up lubricant from their containers... and pumping into gearboxes and diffs (anywhere where you cant pour it easily)

J.
Old 26 November 1999, 12:58 PM
Mark Coleman
Scooby Regular

When I first did it myself the only way I found to refill it was to pour the oil through the dipstick hole using a long plastic pipe and funnel. The drain plug is on the bottom of the gearbox.

Old 28 November 1999, 09:25 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Mark
Is the oil just named 'Silkolene synthetic gearbox oil' ?

Mick
Old 30 November 1999, 12:48 PM
Mark Coleman
Scooby Regular

Not sure but I'm sure Pete Croney can. Pete ?

Old 01 December 1999, 10:51 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Hi

I bought a pump from a local car accessory shop for less than £4 at the weekend.

It is two clear plastic pipes and a bladder between them.

Thanks

Gavin