i'm thinking about buy this parts. Please, help

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 1999, 12:03 AM
Benny Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi Carlos

By following the above you will improve the gas flows through the motor and improve the sound and driving enjoyment.

You will gain some improvements in response and contrary to popular opinion, not really increase power. You will only increase power by bypassing the airflow meter or increasing boost.

You will enjoy the modifications though that is for sure but do not expect major increases in power if that is your goal.

Kind regards

Ben
Old 31 October 1999, 11:11 AM
ViVaLDi
Scooby Regular

Hello

In order to increase the power in my spanish '99 impreza, i'm thinking to buy this parts from scoobysport.

Rear silencer in stainless steel for Turbo/WRX/STi/22B:
£260.00

Gas flowed turbo exit Group A downpipe: £180.00

De cat centre pipe (exchange):
£45.00

ITG/Scoobysport premium grade performance foam panel filter:
£40.00

Can any of you tell me what he think about this parts?
1.-Are all of them important?
2.-Are any of them superficial and not interesant?
3.-Are any of them better from other manufacturer?
4.-Are all necesary?
5.-Can i do any other thing for more hbp?
6.-It is this way a good way for obtain more bhp's?

Thanks very very much in advance, because i'm loss in this world.

Regards

Carlos
Old 31 October 1999, 04:37 PM
ViVaLDi
Scooby Regular

For Beeny Boy:

When you tell that i will not gain power, you tell me that i have the same hbp but in another manner, ok? More fun and better response, no?

What you want to say with "you will gain some improvements in response and contrary to popular opinion, not really increase power."?

You tell me too "You will only increase power by bypassing the airflow meter or increasing boost." Please, can you tell me how to do this 2 things and how much this things are dangerous?

Thanks and regards for help me in my intro in this complex world. Once again, thanks for be patient ;-)
Old 31 October 1999, 07:15 PM
Benny Boy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Carlos

Ok, here we go! You will not be at all disappointed with buying the exhaust. You will love the sound and the car will feel faster. The power will come in earlier and you will enjoy driving the car more.

If you want more power from your car there are not many safe ways of doing this. One way to gain power is to have a replacement ECU installed in the car. However, whilst the car will run more power and will feel much faster, it is not wise to install such a device without an expert setting the car up for you.

I have seen and heard too many horror stories about different cars having problems when people ask for more power. The alternative is a replacement ECU which can be a reliable tool but it requires tuition to operate to its best ability.

There are right and wrong ways of doing it and too many people think they do it the right way when they do not have the necessary expertise.

So Carlos, my advice to you is to buy the items and enjoy the benefits and not try and search for more power.

However, if you are determined to have more power at a cost, then please mail me direct at bennyboy@my97and243bhp.demon.co.uk and I shall help you.

Kind regards

Ben

[This message has been edited by Benny Boy (edited 31-10-1999).]
Old 01 November 1999, 12:59 AM
Steve Howat
Scooby Regular

Hi Vivaldi.

I changed my exhaust for the full Scoobysport option and the improvement in response and sound quality was extremely noticable. However I couldn't live with the increase in volume (unbearable at cruising speeds and heavy acceleration) for more than a week. I have now refitted the original centre section which has reduced the noise back to a similar level inside the car as with the back box only. This doesn't seem to have affected the response too much and the outside noise is still great but passengers and neighbours now love me again (without burst ear drums)!
Old 01 November 1999, 03:24 PM
ViVaLDi
Scooby Regular

Steve:

Are you talking about the "De cat centre pipe"? I want to eliminate cats...

The noise is really BIG?

thanks and regards
Old 01 November 1999, 07:05 PM
Steve Howat
Scooby Regular

Hi Vivaldi.

Yep, it eliminated both cats and at the same time all the heat shielding (mines a my95 and the shielding was getting noisy!) and yes the noise was really big! The problem was that on the motorway at about 80mph, and during acceleration, the constant droning noise left me with a headache and sore ears! I have now refitted the old mid section (after fixing the heatshield) and the noise levels inside the car are now very similar to what they were with the backbox only. On acceleration the downpipe is louder, but not unpleasant, and at cruising speeds you hardly notice it. I also get a wooshing noise and chattering from the wastegate as a result of changing the downpipe.

If you can insulate the pipe in some way, or you can live with the volume and you are intent on removing both cats then go for it as the centre section isn't expensive. For me the increase in performance that it may have given wasn't worth the headaches! Outside though the car sounds great!!

Good luck (earplugs are cheap)!

Steve.
Old 01 November 1999, 07:37 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

had the same setup as mentioned in earlier posts with no cats but could not bear the noise so i got the med section with the cat back . however the noise is still loud at 80mph it goes alot quiter at around 100mph!!. is there any known way of sound deadening

cheers
sam
Old 01 November 1999, 08:14 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Have you tried exhaust heat bandage ? it should reduce the temperature under the bonnet and car, and as an after effect reduce the noise you hear in the cabin, I think i remember someone saying they had done this before, but cant remember
Old 02 November 1999, 01:07 PM
Steve Howat
Scooby Regular

Thats what I intend to do eventually and I think I might have mentioned it before, but just find someone who stocks it in a decent enough size! If anyone knows can they let me know!

Cheers

Steve.
Old 02 November 1999, 03:48 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

I was thinking of heat bandage as a wat to keep the centre cat 'hot'. Has anyone tried it ?
Old 02 November 1999, 04:31 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi all..

I have a STI IV...and looking at modifying it... Anyone got any suggestions ?

J.
Old 02 November 1999, 05:52 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Firefox,

I have heard Halfords do go-faster stripes and screen banners, worth at least 10BHP, maybe 20, depends who you are talking to.

Try folding your mirrors back into the parking position to reduce wind resistance, should give you another 5MPH top end.

Try dropping your tyre pressures by 10 or 20psi, lowers the car nicely and gives you an massive contact patch thus well sorted handling.

Moray

( )
Old 02 November 1999, 06:23 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Screen banners ?

cool... I've been looking for those for ages..

The stripes arent any good.. they go the wrong way...and hence slow me down...

I've tried running my car on 20'ish psi (tyre pressure)...didnt increase the speed...

But thanks for the info

J.
Old 02 November 1999, 06:50 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

I have got the downpipe and the backbox and am not interested in the mid section. Didn’t seem to make much difference in my car anyway. Also have tested the car for emissions and it seem to pass the emission test without the cat in the downpipe theoretically!!
I think if i can maybe reduce the noise coming from the down pipe things will be more bearable. Don’t get me wrong i love the sound- will be great on track days. but I sometimes like to listen to the radio in the morning while going to work, how silly of me.

so does any one know where i can get this heat bandage to experiment with?

I have also been thinking whether a layer of sound deadening material (what type or which on? i don't know) fitted under the bonnet lid will make any difference. A lot of modern cars have them e.g. focus

Thanks in advance

Sam
Old 03 November 1999, 12:26 AM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

Exhaust wrap is widely available. Here are a couple of stockists from Cars and Car Conversions magazine (I only bought it for the ads honest ).

Croydon Race and Rally Centre. 0181 6567031
25mmx5m £12.95 50mmx5m £22.95

M.A. Services. 01622 717720
1"x50' £33.44 2"x50' £55.76 2"x100' £111.53 6"x100' £263.90

I don't have any connection with, or experience of these companies I just noticed their ads.

I also haven't wrapped my exhaust.

My limited understanding is that by wrapping the manifold and downpipe more heat is kept in the exhaust gas. Gas travels more quickly when hot and therefore the back pressure is reduced. Presumably only by a tiny amount. If anyone actually has any experience of exhaust wrapping could they please enlighten us. Is it worth the effort?

It would of course reduce under bonnet temps which can only be an advantage.

I also happened to notice an ad for Merlin Motorsport (01249 782101) who are based in Castle Coombe. They advertise ITG filters for the scooby at £32+VAT (£37.60). I thought Scoobysport were the distributors for ITG? If its the same filter, Scoobysport are being undercut by £9.40. Not exactly a lot but why pay more than you have to?

I'm about to buy an ITG so does anyone know the actual spec / number of the ITG filter, so I can check if this is the same filter. Castle Coombe is just a pleasant thrash from my current location

[This message has been edited by Doc (edited 03-11-1999).]
Old 03 November 1999, 01:00 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Doc,

So you decided against a Blitz cone filter. Hope I didn't put you off.

Moray
Old 03 November 1999, 01:54 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Firefox,

I've got an STi IV with a K&N panel filter, SS downpipe and backbox. I'm in Peterborough if you want to try it.

Alistair
Old 03 November 1999, 02:09 PM
JohnS

Cool

Alistair,

I think Firefox's car is a tad more modified than your own

Check out the following link:

Old 03 November 1999, 02:45 PM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Where were the fluffy dice?!
Old 03 November 1999, 06:40 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Bugger...

Cheers John

J.

ps - Thanks for the offer Alistair
pss - The dice couldnt take the acceleration.. and are in the boot somewhere.... lol

[This message has been edited by firefox (edited 03-11-1999).]
Old 04 November 1999, 11:51 AM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Cool

Firefox,

You got a picture of your car? Id be interested to see how the Anthracite Mims look.

James.
Old 04 November 1999, 01:56 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Red face

Oops, I took this too literally, I guess I should have noticed the smiley face !
Old 05 November 1999, 01:05 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ok folks...

I have lagged my down pipe...and turbo... *these have been lagged for ages now*

And headers.... (these took friggin forever to do)

I used 1" bandage... and a turbo lag kit.

I removed all the crappy metal heat shield..cos its pooh...

I never dynoed the car...so I dont know if it has made any difference.. but it does reduce the ambient temperature under the bonnet.

J.

ps - Doc... I have been running the Blitz kit for ages.. no problems... it takes about 30 mins (tops) to change it back to the original box...(I have run the HKS, K&N, RamAir filters too. Value for money I would suggest the K&N. If money wasnt an issue.. I would suggest the Blitz)

[This message has been edited by firefox (edited 05-11-1999).]
Old 05 November 1999, 12:10 PM
Subaru doctor
Scooby Newbie

In my racing days we used to rap the exhaust manifolds with bandages and it added to the power 5-10%.
This is food for thought,I will try it on an Impreza with the full pipes in the next few days and post what happens.
Old 05 November 1999, 12:26 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Talking

Moray
You didn't put me off the Blitz induction kit. It looks and sounds great. Its just that I am a little nervous putting it on a car under warranty when it only filters to 20 microns. The ITG filters to 10 microns and is easily replaced with the original if I need any warranty work
Old 05 November 1999, 12:33 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've found two more stockists of exhaust heat wrap.

Demon Tweeks 01978 664466 1"x50' £28.46+VAT

Burton Power 02085 544828 1"x50' £32.50 2"x50' £54.00 both including VAT