Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Limits of STI 5 Turbo (IHI VF28)

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 1999, 06:58 AM
Seraph
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to know the specs and safe limits of the IHI VF28. What is the HP rating and how many bar boost is a safe holding limit?

I was told at a turbocharger on high boost may not be running properly. E.g. a TD04 running at 1.6 bar may be producing less HP than a TD05 on 1 bar. Moreover, the TD04 will be running above 100,000 RPMs which may destroy the turbine.

My STI 5 is now 280HP at 1.1bar and hope to crank it up for more HP.

Comments please.
Old 01 October 1999, 09:11 PM
DYNT
Scooby Regular

Smile

Is that IHI VF24 or VF28 ????
Anyway .. IHI turbocharger(rollerbearing) is good for 1.4bar ... go more then that ..U will be in trouble.
Old 01 October 1999, 09:48 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

VF-28 ?

Thats a new one to me.... it must be bloody small... lol

1.4 will be the max... I would have thought perhaps too much for that turbo..you will be working the turbo...and boy will it be hot...

Also..that much boost will be strainng your internals (dont even consider it on a Standard). I would have thought you'd be experiencing pinking on a hot day... unless you drown the engine in fuel...either way.. not good...

J.
Old 03 October 1999, 04:57 AM
Seraph
Scooby Regular

How about holding about 1.3bar? I plan to use a turbosmart manual boost controller and like to tune my car to 1.3 max on 5th.

Is this a safe limit for my STI Ver 5 Type R? Any idea if the standard STI ECU has fuel/ignition maps for this boost level?

[This message has been edited by Seraph (edited 03-10-1999).]
Old 03 October 1999, 06:42 AM
coolhand
Scooby Regular

Talking

I agree with DYNT, the rollers can't take high rpm. Also, size isn't much of a matter here, like mentioned, a TD-06 may not match the TD-05 at certain boost coz it's too hot! To cool it off, the ECU will dump extra fuel n drown the engine. To limit boost will be a safe measure n has anybody thought of using water injection to chill down the air? I've got one on my car...works great! Expensive but worth...unless U're going for ultimate, have the engine reworked n tweak the ecu.
Old 04 October 1999, 09:48 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Howdy...

I'm not sure what the boost cut on the STi V is.. I assume its the same as the IV's... In which case it will trip at 1.3.. You will need to remove the limit... The ECU wont have the maps for that boost.... The best thing to do is put it on the rollers and check...monitor the ratio as you increase the boost... I would say you need a fuel computer (new ECU)... haltech... motech.. autronics.. apexi.. link..HKS.. I believe these are all available for the V's...or can be simply adapted..

Just watch the fuelling....dont run lean!!

J.

ps - Water injection can help.... but using the correct fueling/ratio/timing should virtually eliminate the need for it.

[This message has been edited by firefox (edited 04-10-1999).]