Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch Failure

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 1999, 09:25 AM
Robert S
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

While travelling home on the A12 last Thursday night my 93 WRX came to a halt. During the change between 1st to 2nd gear the clutch pedal went to the floor and did not return. The AA was called and looked at the hydraulic system and said that it was OK and it was more than likely a problem with the release bearing. There was no fluid on the floor and I had never experienced any problem with the clutch or gear box before. The car was towed to Graham Hatherway Racing who recently serviced the car. They had a brief look and said it may be the hydraulic system and tried to order a new slave cyclinder. All the subaru dealers they contacted refused to supply them with the new cyclinder- the slave cylinder is identicle to UK version - apparantly. When I explained that the "nice man from the AA" had tried to bleed the system, they wondered whether the small quantity of fluid around the slave they found was due to that.

So the scooby will be off the road for the weekend - boo hoo!

They will have a more in depth look on Monday. Has anybody experienced this problem before?
Your thoughts would be appreciated during this tragic time.

Rob
Old 22 August 1999, 05:59 PM
DYNT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

It happen once to a friend of mine in a race circuit. After removing the gearbox... it was the clutch release bearing failure.

I change the clutch bearing and the clutch cover. Everything is sound after that.