Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Induction Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 1999, 04:22 PM
JohnT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

When I asked my dealer to fit a Scoobysport backbox and an ITG air filter to my STI V. I was told not to bother with the air filter and to fit an induction kit instead as this would increase performance considerably.
Has anyone else done this? If so is there a big difference in performance and are there any drawbacks?

JohnT
Old 10 August 1999, 04:40 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Hi John,

I've just fitted an induction kit to my MY98 which had a Ramair panel filter and new exhaust system on it already, and it does seem to have made some difference, at least aurally if nothing else!!!
I'll have to wait until the rolling road on Saturday to see if it's made any significant power increase. Watch this space.
Cheers,

Stef.
Old 11 August 1999, 09:29 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

John,

I have to say I'm not sure about induction kits on Scoobys but a friend of mine has put one on his turbo'd Astra and it does make a mighty fine noise! Having said that, I do remember seeing or hearing somewhere that they aren't much use on Scoobs as you can't get enough cold air to them (particularly on an STi). Also, apparently the cone filters don't have as large a surface area as the original panel filter.
Old 11 August 1999, 09:51 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Don't induction kits reduce low down throttle response as well?
Had one on a 16V Vauxhall before I was converted! Great power top end, floor it at idle though and it was like having carbs - big gulp of air, pause, clear itself then go - not good if you need instant response.
It may be different for turbo cars though.
Old 11 August 1999, 10:10 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm, dunno. I guess there could be some clever reason for the poor throttle response like because it's a free flow filter, there's no back pressure for the throttle valve to work against (or something). I do know that the induction kits on 16v Vauxhalls have the Fuel Pressure Regulator included which supposedly improves throttle response.

Why don't we discuss tuning Vauxhalls - that's much easier!
Old 11 August 1999, 07:07 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Unless the induction kit is fitted inside a box (or other mods) to get a flow of clean cool air 'tis a waste of time.

Also, the MIRA study of filters that Pete Croney mentioned a while back puts the ITG panel filter way out ahead of the game.

Remember there's no point having a great induction kit if its not filtering the dust !

Ever wondered why a westfield has the K&N's just outside the car ?

A popular "MaxPower" trick seems to be cutting a nice round hole in the bonnet or wing and poking your filterhead through that.

my advice..stick to the panel filters unless you're seriously modding.
Old 11 August 1999, 10:35 PM
tel
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

If you actually trace the path of the ducting to the normal Air box it goes into the inner wing, where there is a chamber that muffles the blow back from the turbo on throttle shut off. The duct then enters the engine bay at the front left of the car (facing the car from the front)behind the headlight. The duct only pulls air in from the engine bay and not as some people suggest from an outside air vent. I replaced the Air filter box on my STI V with a pipercross induction kit last weekend and found only part of the original filter to be contaminated with dust therefore showing that the airbox can be restrictive.
Only a dyno test will show which works best, it is certainly noisier.
Old 12 August 1999, 11:11 AM
JohnT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks chaps! I thought he was talking pants!

Old 12 August 1999, 12:28 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

And we'll see the results on Saturday when my new K&N'd car gets it's first run on the RR.
It will be the first time PE have dyno'd a Scoob' with a K&N induction kit so it should be interesting.
Anyway, to be honest I'm not too fussed about a couple of BHP here or there.
It's driver satisfaction I want, and the new exhaust coupled with this new inductiion kit have transformed the way I feel when I drive my car. It now feels and sounds that little bit more special.
To me at least, that's more important than having more BHP than the next guy.

Stef.