Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Mr Freeze

Old 13 July 1999, 02:24 PM
Norrie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a problem, but who can explain this..

Driving towards Loch Lomond on Friday afternoon, scorching hot, windows up and air con running. We (well my wife) decided to put all the windows down and get some wind going. As soon as we realised that that was a bad idea (sudden inrush of warm air and extra noise)we closed the windows again and swithed the air con back on again. I nearly s**t my pants when my wife started screaming "we're on fire", as bucket loads of steam proceeded to billow from the vents. Could the air outside (that we'd just let in) have been so moist to have caused this? I quite liked it really

Anyone any idea what may have caused this?

Just curious.

Norrie
Old 13 July 1999, 03:21 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

I had this happen to me the other day on the way to work. I nearly did the same. Seemed to stop after 5 seconds and did not smell of anything so I thought it would be alright.

Have you also noticed a small pool of water (seems to be) ending up on the road after you stop as well. It comes from what appears to be breather hose on the bulkhead on the right hand side below the intercooler near to the ground.

I assume this to be A/C related
Old 13 July 1999, 03:27 PM
andymac
Scooby Regular

If the air con is like our FTO and my previous Alfa (although I've not noticed the problems listed above yet) then it's not just a "fridge" but also a dehumidifier - try swtiching the aircon with the heater turned up full it works really well to demist the windscreen. As a dehumidifer, the pool of water that you get is just that, the moisture in the air that it's removed and dumped on the road. If the air is very hot (and can hence hold much more water vapour) then if you suddenly cool it, before the dehumidifer has taken effect then you will get "fog". I must say the pool of water did concern me for a while until I realised what it was !

And don't forget all you hot sweaty people, that that pool of water will be sweat as well !

cheers

Andy
Old 14 July 1999, 09:30 AM
Norrie
Scooby Regular

Thought as much. Didn't realise that warmer air could hold more moisture though.

Thanks.

DavidLewis. Thanks for your reply in the other catagory.

BTW Andymac, I don't sweat. I "glow"

N

[This message has been edited by Norrie (edited 14-07-99).]
Old 19 July 1999, 11:13 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Norrie.

I have got a diesel van which has sweat plugs fitted to help it start on cold mornings.

Mike.
Old 19 July 1999, 01:48 PM
Norrie
Scooby Regular

Nice one Mike

N
Old 22 July 1999, 07:57 PM
vanya gant
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just paid almost a grand for a steamer unit to go into the shower room in our new extension. thanks for the tip. I'll just park my STI V outa de window and send the steamer back.
Seriously, it's got to do with critical humidity levels, temperature drop, and condensation. Some people blame this phenomenon of physics on cloud formation, but I think there's a kettle up there meself.
PS You're right to like it (see above for what I paid)