Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

De-cat legality

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 1999, 12:37 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike.

Any car manufactured after 1992 (K reg onwards) must have a catalytic converter (legal requirement). It must be present and (as Data from Star Trek would say) operating within established parameters.

If your car is older than K reg and has a cat fitted you can take it off if you wish.

Pete C recently posted some interesting stuff on Cat's (anorak type stuff ) but basically if you remove the front cat and have a centre one still installed, it will not work effectively if it does not reach it's 'light up'(?) temperature.

It may then struggle to deal effectively with the volume of gas passing through, if it cannot reduce the emmissions to the required level it will fail the emissions test.

Mike.
Old 21 July 1999, 11:50 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

Does anyone know what the real legal position is regarding catalysts? Is it technically a no-no to remove *either* of them, or is it OK as long as one remains? Or is it OK to remove both so long as you still pass the MOT or other emission test? Pointers to gov website or something would be the most welcome - I'm looking for hard facts here.

TIA

-= mike =-
Old 21 July 1999, 03:10 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mike. Sounds like I might be in a grey area with my SS downpipe then - I've still got a cat but it's not 100% clear that it's working "within established parameters" as you say. Maybe the best solution now is to get middle pipe with a free-flowing centre cat that is designed to work alone in that position. Anyone aware of such a unit that I can combine with my SS front and rear sections?
Old 21 July 1999, 04:02 PM
andymac
Scooby Regular

Does the scooby have two cats?
Are they ceramic or metal substrate ?

cheers

Andy