Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox Whine

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 1999, 09:59 PM
Kenny
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second gear on my WRX is particularly whiney (?). This must have been a gradual occurence as I'm sure it wasn't doing it when I test drove it (I wouldn't have bought the car). It is now quite noticeable.

Is this a common problem with scoobies (or particularly WRXs)?

I'm not too sure where I am on the warranty front with this as I can forsee cries of "wear and tear mate".

Something else I've noticed recently (perhaps I'm getting paranoid in my old age!) is that the engine seems a bit "flat". It is is due for a service in a month or so, anyone else noticed their cars going off tune?

Ken

(not too impressed with g'box whine on 14 grands worth of car)
Old 11 July 1999, 10:44 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Kenny

Mine (MY96 WRX, 45K km) is the same but whines a little in 1st, more in second. Rest seem OK (apart from the usual noises). Also changing is a little slow when cold. I think the noise gets less when warm so...

I was thinking about replacing the gearbox oil as mine has the usual Jap clear fluid that they all seem to have. Also I dont know about the diff and their fluid.

Can anyone offer any help about where the drain plugs are, filling levels and types and recomended types of fluid ?
Old 12 July 1999, 12:13 AM
Kenny
Scooby Regular

I've had an email from a Subaru dealer saying that they've had several WRXs in with worn second gear syncros and also that many have too thin oil in.

So if my dealer won't do it on warranty I may try just the oil change to see it thicker oil shuts it up a bit.

Does this suggest that cars for the Jap market runner thinner oil than UK cars due to different environment?

Ken
Old 12 July 1999, 10:27 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

The drain plug is under the gear box, towards the front.

You need a new gasket for the plug, when re-fitting it. It is magnetised, so wipe away any iron filings.

The gear box takes 4 litres of 75/90w, preferably a fully synthetic. I use Silkolene Silktran Syn 5, which Prodrive use in the sequential box on the WRC car.
Old 12 July 1999, 11:04 AM
ids
Scooby Regular

Thanks Pete,

Is this common on Impreza's ? Do you think it may help ?

Also is there a fill level indicator and where do you fill through (is is as usual with most gearboxes and there is a fill hole and its up to that level ?)
Old 13 July 1999, 09:13 AM
Norrie
Scooby Regular

Mine too!

94M (Does this mean MY95?) WRX. Gearbox whines. Most gears I think. I've been checking the oil level and it doesn't seem to be "using" any. Does anyone know if the whine is a sign of impending doom or if we just have to put up with it?

Kenny.
Yes mine seems a bit flat too.

Norrie.