Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Replacing steering rack bellows

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2003, 08:36 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have recently noticed a split in the driver's side steering rack bellows on my 93 WRX.

I have now got a replacement, and was intending to fit by simply sliding over the end of the steering arm. Has anyone any experience of fitting a steering rack bellows to offer some advice? Also, since I don't know how long the bellows has been split, do I need to pack any grease in when I fit the replacement? Any help greatfully received!

PS. I've not noticed any problems with the steering, and it was only by chance that I found the problem with the car parked on full lock.
Old 03 November 2003, 10:06 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

There is no need to repack the bellows with grease as it does not operate with such, the power steering oil gets to do that job. Its only the driveshaft bellows that contain grease for the joints. But to replace such, dont forget to remove the track rod end first, noting how many turns it takes to remove, so you can "count" the same number as you refit them.
This way, you will save on having to get the tracking reset by a garage,but remember to lock tightly the "lock nut" once refitted and set.
Old 26 November 2003, 12:08 AM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

scoobyslut, thanks for the advice.

Finally got round to doing this tonight, (car has been off the road for a few weeks) after having several failed attempts at trying to move the track rod locking nut!! Probably something to do with not being moved for at least 4 years

Anyway, all went smoothly once the track rod was removed. The rack and ball joint still had copious amounts of grease coating them, so would appear to be no damage caused - phew!