Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY98 TD/VF23 turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2003, 11:34 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

I have chance swap my turbo for VF23. I run wit standard ECU so I want to know what I need to do or if is it direct bolt on and coul be used with standard ECU?
I heard something about boostcontroll.. do I need it and Dawes is enough?
How much torque and Hp I get at 0,9Bar?

Thanks
Old 03 November 2003, 08:03 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Hi Erik.

I run a VF23 on my MY98 using the standard ecu and it's fine. I have upped the boost using an HKS EVC IV boost controller and it's set at 1.3 bar. I have no experience of the Dawes. I also use NGK PFR7B plugs instead of the standard PFR6B's and have fitted an uprated fuel pump but, having said that, my AFR readings were fine before the new pump and my Knock Link is quiet. Also, the Training WRX book (available from Scoobymania) reckons that the standard ecu copes very well with the VF23. I don't know what your power output would be but there is a little more lag (nothing drastic) and power is substantially increased when boost comes in and it doesn't tail off either. Fitment is a straight swap but watch the oil pipe on top of the turbo - it fits with a little fiddling (the pipe needs re-aligned very slightly) so be careful that you don't cross thread it. Hope this helps. Good luck

Raymond.
Old 04 November 2003, 08:52 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Great! I use Denso Iridium IK22 same like my friends 300Hp+ STi so this is no problem. I plan run up to standard fuelcut somewhere at 1,1-1,2bar. Dawes does nothing about duty cycles so lag could be same as standard turbo only that fuelpump is the question. This car is 5 years old and I dont want blow up engine with small injectors and weak pump. I will change it.

Thank for advice.