Piston Broke .........

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2003, 03:36 PM
LittleDarren
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Hi peeps,

Finally got to the bottom of my engine problem and I've got a melted number 2 Piston. The bore isn't damaged thank god although I'm wondering if it can be replated If I need to? Anyone know?

Next question, do I buy a single piston to replce the broken one, if so where is a good spot to start looking? OR... Do I buy a full set of them either standard or 'stronger'? Again where do I start looking?

Anyone know the secret of getting the pistons back in? I'm not technical but the people that are doing the job are a bit confused because the piston doesn't look like it'll go in from the bottom end? Does that make sense cos I'm only passing on what I thought he said

Anyway any input will be gratefully received

LD
Old 27 October 2003, 04:47 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Can't help you on the piston, however a melted piston means detonation. You have to determine why it's been detting. Maybe a bad batch of fuel or low octane fuel, or even a faulty MAF sensor. Make sure you replace the MAF after the rebuild cos when they go faulty, they under read the airflow and the ECU poors in less fuel resulting in lean running. Change it for insurance. Some peolpe have blown their newly rebuilt engines from not replacing a faulty MAF they did not know was faulty.

Also get a Knocklink on there to monitor for detonation. These parts are cheap and can save you from an expensive rebuild.

Cheers,

George.
Old 27 October 2003, 04:53 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LD get your engine people to call me or better yet call me yourself before they get in too big of a tangle with this

David API Engines 01926 614522
Old 27 October 2003, 07:45 PM
LittleDarren
Scooby Newbie

Thanks API David I'll do that....

WREXY the MAF was changed about 3 months ago as was the Lambda sensor, that's what caused the problem in the first place and had done the damage already. also now having got the engine out the inlet manifold hadn't 'nipped up' the gasket and there was evidence that it had been drawing in air ( after a rebuild twelve months ago by a subaru dealer). Hence I'm sorting it myself this time. See the following thread http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=261444

Not sure if that 'link' works...

Thanks Chaps

[Edited by LittleDarren - 10/27/2003 7:50:31 PM]
Old 27 October 2003, 10:24 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Link works. Yes I remember reading that thread now.

If the scoob dealer had taken the car out for a run in 3rd geat at WOT and checked the O2 sensor readings, back then, they would have picked up that the car was running lean and that one of the sensors, be it MAF or lambda, needed replacing. Instead, like most dealers do, they hook up the select monitor, look for fault codes, find nothing and "see you later".

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers,

George.