Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

legacy owners - noisy tappets

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2003, 12:56 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

cant find the original thread, but i posted up recently that i had a seriously noisy and annoying tappet in the r/h side legacy head. i originally thought i had a broken tappet, but then a few legacy onwers mentioned about mobil 1 motorsport 15W 50.

well, i swapped to this from the shell helix plus 10w40 that subaru use, and the tappets all went noisy as hell.

however, after about 100miles of use they went quieter.

i have now done about 500miles on this oil, and for a few weeks now they have been totally silent, sounds like a car rather than a tractor now (touch wood! ).

so, thought id just post up this to recommend Mobil 1 motorsport 15w 50 as a cure to noisy tappets on the legacy, as there have been numerous people posting about this common problem, and a lot have used this oil and found it to be a good cure

ian

p.s. dont use normal mobil 1 0w50 as its too thin
Old 17 October 2003, 01:20 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Cool

Hi Ian.

I've tried all sorts of makes and grades.

I'm currently using castrol R 10/60 and it has made no difference at all compared to the Mobil 15/50 before hand. Even though it cost me a bout 15 squids more [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] (I can get mobil 15/50 at a very good price)

My mate also has a Leg T and his engine got noisier running 15 /50 mobil. I think the previous owner was running it on Motul.

I havnt tried that yet in my car and might give it a go.

I have been straying to the other side of the world just lately and have been swattin up on this site:

http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/

There is some good info on our cars. One post went up regarding oil and changes and reckons that their isnt one specific oil that cures tappets but through trial and error you can possibly find the right oil that suits the car you own , it should cure Legacy TDI sound effects.

Glad YOUR sorted though mate

All the best

Ste.
Old 17 October 2003, 09:49 PM
yahtzee
Scooby Regular

hi i have a 92 turbo castrol rs 10/60 highly recommeded in australia on liberty forum, thats what i use,
tried mobil motorsport 15/50 ok but the shop where i got it from changed to that new mobil which is poo plus can affect tappets if you dont fill oil filter up air in em or summat...
Old 18 October 2003, 11:41 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Red face

best if you try a few oils for your legacy's then lol

cant believe mine is so quiet now, it deffo should have had a tdi badge before, and ones of those road signs outside my house 'danger tractors crossing'

ian
Old 20 October 2003, 09:23 AM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Talking

lol.

Mine has been fairly quiet of late (touching wood) (so to speak)

I have also found that its pretty temp sensitive as well. The colder the outside temps are the louder they get on start up etc.

Maybe.... Just maybe the Castrol rs is working and I've not given it the credit it deserves ??

I'm gunna change back to 15/50 mobil cos its far cheaper for me and see if she gets clattery again.

If it does get noisey again, I'm gunna have to use the Volkswagen idea. Put stickers on the car & fridge magnets etc with "PETROL" on them !!!

Any one got any John Deere or Magey Ferguson badges they dont want.

For any one with Leg T's the Liberty site is well worth a butchers.

Have a nice day.

Ste