Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Big ends Knocking at 3k

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2003, 09:47 PM
powerman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me is it possible for the big ends to be knocking at 3k on my MY2003 wrx because mine sound horrible when i first start it up and if i touch the throttle its even worse,After about 30 seconds it seems ok.The car was used as a demonstrator and the salesman cars up till 1600 miles but surely it wouldn't be possible to knacker the crank,big ends so early...anyone else had problems advise required please and is it possible to check without the engine being cold..
powerman
Old 15 October 2003, 11:00 PM
PALATINE
Scooby Regular

Location: back from, and now plotting to return to, Nordschleife
Sounds like "piston slap" do a search there are loads of thread
but just take it back to the dealer, demo or not it should be fixed
Old 16 October 2003, 01:13 AM
ramdor
Scooby Regular

I open my garage, start the car, wait 1 min ish for oil to move.. reverse out.. get out of car, close garage door.. sit back in.. give my sti03 (6k miles) a blip say up to 2.5-3k revs and it sounds like a tractor. After its warmed up fully though its as quiet as a quiet thing trying to be quiet. Am I worried about it? ... hmmmm... ever so slightly... but its got a warrenty if goes bang.

Richie.
Old 16 October 2003, 08:40 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

The main thing is though, ever tried to get "piston slap" sorted under an "extended" warranty? Manufacturers warranty I know about, they will accept it, but second hand car warranties will not cover piston slap, as it is defined as a "wear noise" and not as they state in their small print "Failure". So if the engine is at all problematic, get it back to where purchased and get them to sort it asa, dont rely on "it wont get any worse", maybe it will not, but your "resale" value will simply fly out of the window the moment someone else hears it.
Old 16 October 2003, 07:55 PM
powerman
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps
Spoke to the dealers mechanic today and he thinks its highly unlikely to be the crank but he is has had a few P1s with crank problems at around 30k,but he thinks this might be something to with the oil pump area and has asked me to bring it in for further investigation.It could be that the first 1600 miles may have not been the most gentle as regards to running in but I wouldn,t think piston slap would be a possibility but watch this space..Anymore thoughts gratefully recieved....Powerman