Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Knock results.....

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2003, 11:24 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Fitted the knock-link package on friday, its a scary one turning it on for the first time, you never know what youre gonna see!
Cheers BRDevs for the kit, cheers Jamie Mac (again) for fitment help
results as follows:
normal driving produces a dimly lit single green LED, dodgy gear change produces a small flutter but nothing heavy as the gears crunch (sorry car)
under load very rarely get anything (but think I have seen) the first green LED get brighter)
today however, bit alarming, was doing about 1**+mph and came off the throttle at a roundabout, then jumped straight back on the throttle to catch the apex and I got the full show of colours (just once) up to the big clear LED
am I suffering Knocking? or rather did I suffer knock this morning

am now scared

Andy.........
Old 08 September 2003, 12:03 PM
Jack0
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Dude,
yep that's was Transient Knock!
Especially prominent under load typically between 3-3.5Krpm up until 4-4.5Krpm. This is when everything is singing together, cams, boost, spark and vehicle load especially on tip out then aggressive tip in on throttle.
But, you need to get your knock link sensitivity correlated with Det Cans.
The reason for this is that if you have it set to MAX sensitivity, then you could be hearing excessive engine noise rather than actual knock. Alternatively, it could be knock your hearing, but it is being over amplified to make it seem severe on your knock link.
Talk to the people to whom you bought it from or worst case you could contact Bob Rawle @BRD. He will hate me for the recommendation as he is a very busy man, but be patient and send him a mail via BRDevelopments email.

Jacko.
Old 08 September 2003, 12:15 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

cheers, starting to feel better as I am running max sensitivity
Old 08 September 2003, 12:19 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

do they come with the trim set to max sensitivity ? I fitted mine over the weekend ( was it 'fit your knocklink' day on Saturday ) but I haven't calibrated it yet. I think it's turned max clockwise.

Steve
Old 08 September 2003, 12:29 PM
Jack0
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Peanuts,
not sure you should be feeling better as what you don't know (and this was my point) is that at present your BIG clear/red top LED may well only indicate when you definitely had knock.
Without correlation/calibration, you do not know to what extent that knock was!
Be careful and always use some booster until correlated/calibrated.
Reading back through your orig post I noticed you bought it from BRD, therefore defo give BRD a call to discuss.

Jacko.
Old 11 September 2003, 06:07 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

No worries mate, didn't take too long did it? You seemed more impressed with ditching the 'hands-free' kit tho TBH!

Surely it's better to be lighting up on max-sensitivity than on anything less? I would be seriously worried if it was lighting up with the sensitivity wound down. Car has been taken up to full power in all gears with only the 2nd green flickering (as mentioned above). Bear in mind that this is a UK MY99(?) running standard boost so knock shouldn't really be an issue (...yet - got the dawes yet Andy? ) unless something is malfunctioning (how;s you get on with the new MAF?)... Basically I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

J
Old 09 November 2003, 07:53 PM
Jack0
Scooby Regular

Smile

Jamie,
if set at Max sense and still no lights, then yes one should be happy, but this is assuming the knock display is wired in correctly/electronically sound and the knock sensor has been mounted in the right place.
But, the dude said that he got a RED!
That could have been noise or a snippet of transient knock. Until calibrated you just don't know...?
Transient knock IMHO is OK and tolerable. Just keep an eye on it to ensure is doesn't run away into bad det/knock.

I will bow down to anyone else who has sounder advice than that already given

Jacko (hell,,,,,,,I live for knock!)

[Edited by Jack0 - 9/11/2003 7:54:37 PM]