Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Which ECU

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2003, 12:51 AM
zero77
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to start the long modding process with my sti-v RA soon and I want to gt it right. I'm going to be looking for around the 350BHP mark. I know I'm going to have to either remap the existing ECU or change it altogether and seeing as I know nothing about this sort of thing what do you guys recommend.

I know there are lots out the like Motec, Gems, Apexi etc... I want complete felxability, I.e if I add say bigger injectors the system will be very easily configurable to allow for this mod.

I don't want ot have to travell too far so I'm looking for somewhere in the midlands who can supply and fit.
Old 21 August 2003, 01:25 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Choosing an ECU for your car isn't straightforward in that you have to take into account how much you want to spend on one, how far you want to tune the car and how far you have to travel to get the car mapped when required with future mods.

I run Link on my ver5 which is a very basic but capable ECU. Even now at over 400 BHP, it still produces the goods time and again.

Gems seems to be finding more and more favour with the Impreza and would be my choice but only because i am looking for an ECU to do additional things instead of purely fuelling, ignition and boost control.

Motec will do a lot more as well but is one of the more expensive ECU's alongside those such as Pectel etc, so really base your decision on where you want to go with the car and then find an ECU which will be able to support the planned modifications.

Alan
Old 21 August 2003, 06:40 AM
zero77
Scooby Regular

Thanks Alan,

I'm not on Scoobynet this early normally but I'm jet lagging and have had no slept all night so I thought I't logg on.

The car has a cat back HSK exhaust and I'm going to go for a header and high flow cat. After that I'm not sure what I need to do to get it close to the 350BHP+ mark but if your is doing that with a link then it should surfice, are there limitations with the link.