Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

TYPE R DIFF PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2003, 01:03 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is normal! As the LED's progress further up the display, the centre diff progressively locks. On the higher settings, when you turn a tight corner, the diff will fight the imbalance in rotation speeds between the front and rear axles, with the odd handling and noise you noticed the result.

In general, if you're just pootling round at slow speeds, manoevering or reversing, you should really back the diff right off, as it'll save this sort of thing happening.

If you eventually find you like driving with the diff "up", you could either back the roller off when you get to this sort of corner, or alternatively pull on the handbrake gently - just enough to make the warning light on the dash light up. This will free the diff until you let the lever go - at which point the roller selected ratio will return.

The different settings on the roller aren't designed for specific surfaces as such, although there certainly are circumstances where you'd want to change the setting if you went from a high grip to low grip surface - and vice versa.

With the roller backed right off (bottom green square), the car has a 64:36 rear wheel drive bias, which means power oversteer will become second nature. As you turn the diff up, you'll get more and more assistance from the front wheels, producing progressively more neutral/understeery handling, and greater stability under braking, albeit at the cost of slightly woolier turn-in.

John Felstead posted a set of DCCD instructions here a while back. If you didn't get anything with the car that explains how it works, it'd be well worth digging John's thread up from the archives and giving it a read.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 8/7/2003 1:10:31 AM]
Old 06 August 2003, 11:25 PM
Higgs
Scooby Regular

I picked up my sti 5 TYPE R today and on the diff display on the dash u have 5 settings the bottom 2 are green then there is 3 orange settings the top 1 is lock when u r on any of the orange settings and u go around a tight bend slowly the wheels dont feel as if they are working together and the car starts 2 bump quite badley as if some wheels are grippin and some are not is this normal as i know it has different settings 4 different surfaces or have i got a probelem with one of the diffs. Any help much appreciated
Old 07 August 2003, 11:27 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Thumbs up

John Felstead, DCCD
Old 07 August 2003, 12:29 PM
Higgs
Scooby Regular

thanks 4 the help i was getting a little worried 4 a minute