Improving performance - MY03 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2003, 09:05 PM
MrClyfar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi there.

I'm a very new owner of a 2003 WRX Impreza, and I was wondering about the potential possibilities of boosting the BHP. Specifically if I wanted to keep the bugdet to a more affordable level, what are the little things I could do if I decided to increase the BHP a bit?

I've jotted down changing the air filter to an ITG model can help (about 5 BHP), are there other tips you could give me which are similar? I understand that to get major benefits will require more drastic changes ie turbo, downpipes, etc. But being a beginner I thought I'd start off gently

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Jas.
Old 28 July 2003, 10:24 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Smile

whoa...

first question - do you want to keep your warranty? if yes, then the only official way is PPP (Prodrive Performance Pack) via your dealer for 1600 beer tokens... power up to approx 260bhp, torque increased but can't remember to what though. this takes you into standard STi territory (without 6-speed box, bigger brakes etc)

secondly, if not bothered about warranty, (your decision with whatever justification you care to come up with etc - disclaimer - I'm not being held responsible for anything going pop or a dealer disowning you if you go too far ) there's a few routes to go, decat exhausts, ecu remaps, turbos etc but have a read round (use search facility and get snowed under with info ) this is a good way of spending little or LOTS as the power craze takes over...

also check about changing air filters and whether it's wise - AFAIR there's been things about screwing up MAF sensors by changing the filter...

Thirdly, I'm not trying to preach but if it's brand new, it'll be as tight as a tight thing - give the engine time to loosen up and see how it flies compared to being brand spanking new - it also gives you time to get used to the rest of the package - handling, stopping etc Remember, there's no point having all the power if you can't drive it properly - you're not invincible and can get into some big "moments" and worse very quickly (driver training might be a suggestion - nobody's perfect - some are less perfect than others )

I've done approx 12k in my MY02 and it goes a lot better than new, plus I've got a sense of what it can do rather than throwing tons of dosh immediately to get mega-power and then getting bored quickly as the shine wears off / waiting for the next power hike... (plus I can be a tight-fisted Yorkshireman so am careful with the brass... )

fourthly - run it in properly so you're not storing up trouble for later (unless you're loaded and will only have it a month like some on here )

Ok, boring old fart lecture over - enjoy it but "know the limits"

Apple

[Edited by Apple - 7/28/2003 10:34:19 PM]
Old 29 July 2003, 01:06 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Agree totally with Apple.

ITG filter = void warrenty

PPP = Prodrive kit that will give you a major performance increase and KEEP your warrenty. I've got one and its great.

If you care less about your warrenty - look for the TEK3 route and full exhaust system upgrade.....

And give it a chance to losen up!

Jza
Old 29 July 2003, 02:43 PM
T2000PPP
Scooby Regular

Wink

Order the ppp today! you will be very happy,trust me.
And you keep your waranty.
Old 29 July 2003, 04:07 PM
MrClyfar
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yo again.

Thanks for those tips guys, I never knew about the PPP option. I was a bit dubious about voiding the warranty, so PPP sounds like the way to go.

Should I wait for the engine to run in before going for a PPP upgrade? I've only done 1300 miles so far, so it's waaaaaaay early days. I wouldn't consider upgrading until next year at the earliest.

Again, many thanks for the feedback.
Jas.
Old 29 July 2003, 04:09 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Agreed if worried about warranty then ppp

If not then the following prices are as a guide

Ecutek £650
Downpipe £175
Ctrs £180 (£90 each)
Backbox £250
Fitting £70

Plus vat, you'll be making circa 285-305 bhp

You could then go for more circa 335-355 bhp
Bigger injectors £100 each
Bigger Turbo (depending on turbo chosen £1000 plus
Fuel pump (uprated) £125
Ecutek remap (maybe foc/ may cost depending what has previously taken place)
Old 29 July 2003, 07:00 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Smile

Jas,

Looks like you've answered you own questions If you're not doing anything while next year, you can get a few miles under its belt and see how things go

Presumably you've had the first service (1000miles) so see how things are coming up to your next one (10K?) and maybe get it fitted then if you can wait and depending on how many miles a year you do...

As I said, it's 1600 quid and generally there's no chance of a discount (Prodrive say so) but AFAIR certain peeps have blagged a "small" amount off and one or two garages have done an offer of a fleece or jacket if you order one

Apple
Old 29 July 2003, 07:05 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Question

XtremeScoobies,

Alright, I'll be the thicky - what's Ctrs (apart from centres to an engineer...)?

Apple