Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ECU

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2003, 11:51 PM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is the best way to go, regarding converting my wrx to uk fuel, as its a jap import and been running on optimax ,its also pretty modified ie de cat pipe ,blitz induction kit, dump valve and supa chip im thinking of removing my supachip and converting it to uk fuel. would i be best buying another ecu ,or remapping existing one as there is a hell of a difference in price isnt there what do youthink i should do. Would i loose alot of power if i were to remove supachip and possibly buy and fit a second hand uk ecu would i need to do any programming or would it just be a one out one in jobby and thats it what sort of prics do you think for an ecu for a my95 wrx
Old 21 July 2003, 12:51 PM
tizard99
Scooby Regular

Alright mate, this is only my experience so its up to you where you go the same route but I run my old 92 K-reg WRX on normal 95 ron unleaded for 2 and 1/2 years and the previous owner did for 1 year before that, without any engine running problems or pinking/knock, etc. The new owner is still running it fine after 6 months. The milage for my ownership was from 52,000 miles to 80,000 miles.
The only downside that may have come from using this fuel was that although it run perfect when it went for a Unichip it was rolling roaded before chipping at 233 BHP with a full decat and ITG air filter. So you can speculate that maybe the car had adapted to run on 95 RON and was running less than the 240 BHP speced + the exhaust change gain.
For the record after the unichip and setup for 95 RON it run a nice 265BHP.

I now run my STI Type RA on only 98 RON and it costs a ton more to run but then it would leave the wrx for dead! Performance does come at a price unfortunately.
Old 21 July 2003, 03:13 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Erm, not a good idea to run on 95! It might not cause any immediate problems, but the ECU is simply not able to retard enough to cope with the fuel, which means that there will be det. Unless it's sustained, it won't cause any immediate problems (such as blowing a hole in the piston...) but it places, over time, significant additional loading on the rods, etc. effectively reducing the potential life of the engine. Quite a bit, possibly.
The affect would be minimised with a careful driver, and my guess would be there would only be a minimal chance of pre-ignition through det unless the car was run at sustained high speed or used on track, but still a possible very expensive risk to take!

Anyway. Optimax + booster is a ggod idea. Optimax by itself is fine unless it's hot, you're having a bit of a hoon, or you're a nutter driver in general

Best is always going to be a remap for the 'local' fuel, be it a reprogramming of the current ECU (if possible) or total ECU replacement.
Old 22 July 2003, 01:46 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Stick with Optimax, and if needed some brand of octance booster ( adds 2 points to the fuel octane rating ).

Bin the super chip and any associated bits, engine killers those are! So I am told / read......

Try a scoobyECU mod that fits upto 1996 cars, a simple board and remapped map chips with better maps, even some that use UK fuel so I am told! ( go here www.scoobyecu.co.uk) I got one for my MY94 WRX and it's fine!

They also unclog the engine in terms of timing, fueling, boost allowed etc. so 2 benefits, and only £60 a set, and £5 if you need a socket for the board, plus £40 fitted to solder new socket to ECU board if yours aint got one already.

Other ECU's for you generation of car include Unichip and Link, both work, but different costs and limitations, benefits etc. so can't advise on those.