Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone done this yet?

I am thinking about it.
Old 10 July 2003, 12:38 AM
Blitz8888
Scooby Regular

Nope, Dont do it, it will mess up your MAF Sensor because i was thinking putting a Blitz SUS induction kit on my STi 7, which i think is similar to the HKS one but instead i stuck with an ITG panel filter instead. I hope that helps.
Old 10 July 2003, 08:15 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Yeap, I'm using a K&N Panel. Don't touch the cone jobs.
Old 10 July 2003, 08:17 AM
Cupraman
Scooby Regular

There is a chap having a HKS fitted on Sunday at Sumo, along with a SQV and Auto Water spray and some irdium plugs.

I'll wait to see how hw gets on. He is also having a decat.
Old 10 July 2003, 07:17 PM
John STI 8
Scooby Regular

I had an HKS air filter on my STI for about 6000miles, it was absolutely fine, bloody noisey though. Gone back to standard for the time being, but probably swap back at some point. J
Old 11 July 2003, 12:33 AM
Cupraman
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I dont think anyone has put one on an 8, and I know a few people who have put them on 7's and they have been fine.
Old 12 July 2003, 07:53 PM
Mr Sinister
Scooby Newbie

Hi all, it was me who had all the bits done courtesy of Sumo Power, have to say the jury is out on this one, just had done (all HKS Parts) full Super Dragger Exhaust, no cats, SSQV, racing suction kit, Front mounted intercooler with full hard pipe kit and Iridium plugs, within half an hour of driving it had problems with air flow sensor (although when I took the car to Subaru this is a common as hell problem), need to get the car tuned ASAP as I'm not too happy with the current results after handing over a shedload of cash, does anyone know of any good tuners!!??
Old 12 July 2003, 11:30 PM
Cupraman
Scooby Regular

mmmm, not happy to hear that. I was awaiting your results. Perhaps we could have a chat. Are you local? I am in Rainham.
Old 13 July 2003, 12:02 PM
Mr Sinister
Scooby Newbie

Following on from my previous post, I took the car for a run last night and what a complete turnaround, it was going like doo doo off a shovel, now a very happy man. There is an article about the afformentioned problem in Jap Performance Mag this month recommending specific filters etc, worth checking out, CupraMan, I'm from Maidstone and would be mopre than glad to meet sometime (Although the car is in the bodyshop from tomorrow), Damn those infernal shopping trolleys, I never do see them when I'm reversing, bloody well scraped my rear bumper.......AGAIN!!
Old 13 July 2003, 04:05 PM
Cupraman
Scooby Regular

Sounds good to be. We should meet up, would love to chat about what you have had done. I have Jap Performance mag. Is it in the issue with a Blue 22B on the front?
Old 13 July 2003, 04:46 PM
BL
Scooby Regular

We have fitted the HKS induction kit to our STI8.

Works fine. However, we did get a special attatchment made from Hong Kong which tended to do the trick.

Well worth getting one IMHO
Old 13 July 2003, 07:09 PM
Cupraman
Scooby Regular

Can you give me any more info on this special attachement?
Old 14 July 2003, 07:47 PM
Mr Sinister
Scooby Newbie

Cupraman, you need to take a gander at this Months Jap Performance Mag, can't remember whats on the front but I know the 22B was last month. My Car will be out and about this Saturday for some real right foot testing, can't say much more than that as Saturday Night goes underground....if you know what I mean, if you're interseted in putting what you have to the test, let me know so I can let you know where to meet, there is normally around 20-30 people involved, ranging from Supras to other modified motors, it is always a good laugh, and well worth having a mosey
Old 14 July 2003, 08:15 PM
Cupraman
Scooby Regular

Sounds Good. Bought this months mag. Cant find the article
Old 15 July 2003, 12:37 PM
WRX_BLUES
Scooby Regular

I've got the Blitz Sonic Power installed on my STI8 with a HKS SSQV BOV. Haven't had any problems. I've been running it for about 3000 miles.
Old 15 July 2003, 02:10 PM
Cupraman
Scooby Regular

I got the HKS SSQV fitted last Friday. Love it.
Old 15 July 2003, 02:22 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Guys if you have one of these, I suggest you remove it.

The MAF sits in a tube that forms part of the air filter box lid. This pipe is a specific diameter and the ECU knows how much air per second is entering the engine, by measuring the air as it goes through this pipe. The HKS, APS and Blitz filters replace this pipe with one of a larger diameter. As a result, the MAF sees air going past at a slower speed, reads this as less airflow and so puts less fuel in. The car feels quick because it is running lean. VERY LEAN. Eventually, and probably on a nice hot summer day, the engine will let go.

We have mapped cars with these filters, but it is a LOT of work as the entire AFR tables need to be rescaled and the new outputs are not a constant multiple.
Old 15 July 2003, 02:27 PM
WRX_BLUES
Scooby Regular

Pete,

When you say the engine will let go...what do you mean will happen exactly.
Old 15 July 2003, 02:54 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I mean it will det.

This will either melt the pistons or, more likely, cause big end failure.

There is no grey area about the danger of these products.
Old 15 July 2003, 03:04 PM
WRX_BLUES
Scooby Regular

I have suspected this for a while. Thanks Pete! I'll remove it ASAP! I think I'll put it away until I'm ready for my ECUTEK remap from you!
Old 15 July 2003, 03:06 PM
WRX_BLUES
Scooby Regular

Forgot to ask...will this have done any damage to my engine yet or have you just saved my skin?
Old 15 July 2003, 03:11 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Im confused.

Pete, I understand where you are coming from, BUT, all these manufactures are producing product ( such as the Trust unit on my STI8) and marketing them for sale. If these parts are going to blow engines then how the hell do they get away with it and what testing do they do?
Now I know who you work for so I understand your bias BUT if what your saying is true then all of us running induction kits are in big big trouble yes???

Something does not ring true. If another product did the same it would be kicked out of manufacture very very quickly so why is this any different? Also is it scoobys only which are in danger?
Old 15 July 2003, 04:14 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Pete,

Any answers?
Old 15 July 2003, 04:19 PM
WRX_BLUES
Scooby Regular

So how many STI8s have actually detted out there?
Old 15 July 2003, 04:21 PM
Cupraman
Scooby Regular

I knew this thread would get interesting. We have some trouble on the SEAT Cupra's running induction kits, not to say people have not dont it, they have and in the most part they are ok, but there have been the odd few that have shagged the MAF.

I'm not technical in anyway, but could not the MAF sensing software be reprogrammed to allow for the increased air flow?

[Edited by Cupraman - 7/15/2003 4:24:26 PM]
Old 15 July 2003, 04:33 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I have no bias at all here. I don't sell cone filters.

I'm not saying use this one its OK, all I'm saying is don't use one that has an enlarged pipe where the MAF sits, unless the car is being remapped. The MAF can be rescaled in a remap with EcuTek and other ecus don't use the MAF at all.

The companies that make them are predominately Japanese. It may be that the 100RON fuel in Japan gives enough safety that you will get away with it. I have only seen two STi7s that have done big ends and both had one of these filters on. Others have let go, although not many at all, but I haven't seen these cars, so can't comment.

As for suitability... The Blitz Stainless cone was actually designed for Blitz by ITG. It was designed for race cars, not road cars and ITG pioneered the use of this material from their F1 work. A few years ago, people started noticing MAF failures when using this filter. A lot of failures. In race use, you don't normally have to contend with dust and the engine will, at most, be used for one season before being rebuilt. In F1, its one race meeting. The stainless steel mesh filters out particles down to 200 microns in size. Subaru, along with virtually every other manufacturer insist on 10 microns. 200 micron particles not only shot blast the film in the MAF, but they have a fair bit of mass when hit by the turbine tips in the turbo. The filter was never designed to be used on a road car and to show this, its inventors don't sell them for road cars. The fuss about them got quite heated with people asking the same suitability questions on here. Eventually, the importer, Julian, posted on Scoobynet to say that the filter was not suitable for road going Imprezas.

[edited to make sense]

[Edited by Pete Croney - 7/15/2003 4:37:10 PM]
Old 17 July 2003, 09:40 PM
WRX_BLUES
Scooby Regular

Pete,

I understand what you are saying about the airflow being slower if the pipe where the MAF sits in is enlarged. So in hearing your advice I took off my Blitz Sonic Power Air Filter a moment ago. Now I compared the pipe with the original filter box and they are identical in size. In addition, unlike the Blitz SUS filters the Sonic Power uses the same type of filter material as the K&N cone filters. So filtration, I can't see being a problem.

If the above facts are true, then does this mean that I should be able to use my filter? Or is there something else that will be a problem?

Sorry to be such a pain in bringing this up again, but I really don't want to feel like I've wasted my money on a decent filter and have to wait a while before I can afford to do the full monty (decat, remap).

P.S. Thanks for the useful info so far!
Old 18 July 2003, 11:41 AM
WRX_BLUES
Scooby Regular

Pete?
Old 18 July 2003, 11:59 AM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

This lot beats the hell out of me WRX .....

Not quite sure how many cars have had a problem and if putting an induction kit on makes it worse or not.
Old 18 July 2003, 12:06 PM
WRX_BLUES
Scooby Regular

Tell me about it! It's a good job I bought my filter in Hong Kong otherwise I would have ended up spending an extra £100 on top of what I paid.

Quick Reply: HKS Racing Suction Kit + STi 8