Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Does my PPP need mapping?

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2003, 11:48 PM
smellyvag
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I have recently had my 02 sti 7 PPP'd and an H & S decat pipe fitted. The car is acting wierd. It coughs splutters and occassionally feels sluggish. When i accelerate hard it seems quick but oddly between 6000-7000 rpm seems to feel faster, like someone turned the boost up???

Do i need this thing mapped properly?
Old 11 June 2003, 11:54 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

The issue is with the decat. The PPP ECU is meant to be used with the entire PPP package(I.e it's mapped properly for the PPP, not PPP Plus decat), so the erratic power you're seeing is the PPP ECU trying to cope with the decat exhaust.

I don't think you can remap a PPP ECU, so you'd have to go the ECUtek route, and even then you'd need to fit a different restrictor to stop potentially damagaing boost spikes.

Basically, from what I remember the golden rule is don't decat an STI without taking into account restrictor sizes, boost spikes, fuel pump and ECU changes etc etc.

Moving to drivetrain where people a lot cleverer than I can comment.

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 6/11/2003 11:58:19 PM]
Old 12 June 2003, 07:37 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yes you may have an overboost problem usually Xtreme would fit a 1.25 mm brass restrictor to cure overboosting on STi7's.....This usually happens when a 7 is fully decatted...........
Old 12 June 2003, 01:00 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Smellyvag

I understand that some 02 STis have a piggy back chip fitted by Prodrive, which just alters the boost signal, some are remapped using EcuTek software.

It is extremely dangerous to just bolt a downpipe on to a mapped car, piggy back or true remap, as the downpipe will dramatically alter the boost profile. The remap will have been calibrated to suit the fuel and timing requirements of what will be achieved with the standard downpipe and your downpipe could easily be creating conditions which the ECU cannot cope with. I am stunned that you were not told this when the pipe was fitted.

Just fitting a restrictor may not cure the problem and would certainly not cure the problem if your PPP is the true remap flavour.

We fit up pipes and downpipes to WRX PPP cars but we did a lot of testing to check that it was safe. We also fit them to standard STi7/8 cars and it was Scoobysport that developed the restrictor change to overcome the boost spiking, when everyone said it couldn't be fixed.

We have not fitted a downpipe to an STi PPP and I would be very reluctant to do so unless either similar testing had been done or you were letting us remap it at the same time.

The fact that your car is coughing and spluttering is a sign that it is not happy at all. Please be very careful.
Old 12 June 2003, 05:47 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

does this go for uk turbo classics too ?
sorry to jump thread but im in the process of de-catting it

daz
Old 13 June 2003, 09:04 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

No Daz

The classic UK is fine
Old 13 June 2003, 09:22 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular