Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Tek2 necessary for full decat on UK MY99?

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2003, 07:45 PM
bentlea
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

Ok, I've done a bit of searching and I can't find anything that specifically answers this, so hence my question:

I've got a UK 99MY (Nov '99) Turbo (always use Optimax), which was mechanically standard until I ordered a full decat Scoobyworld Afterburner system and ITG panel filter. Due to lack of time, fitted the filter and got the centre section and b/b *only* fitted at my local Scooby tuner, who happens to be an Ecutek dealer.

I mentioned booking the car back in to fit the d/p, but he (maybe not suprisingly) recommended a Tek2 upgrade if I were to go full decat. Having just shelled out £600-ish for the exhaust & filter, I'm a bit reluctant to spend another £600 for the remap if it's not really necessary!

What are your thoughts? On a UK car I'd be suprised if a remap was essential, although I'd accept that a Knocklink & Lambdalink would be a good idea if I don't fit the Tek2.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 05 June 2003, 07:51 PM
LB4
Scooby Regular

Tek 2 definately not essential on a UK car ... i ran mine fully decatted with a Knocklink and AFR for a few months prior to remap and apart from a slight loss of low down torque after the down pipe was fitted it was fine .... however i would recommend a remap, only because of the difference it makes to the drivabilty, lots of low down torque again plus more power .... but its not essential.

Gary
Old 05 June 2003, 08:18 PM
bentlea
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Hmm, didn't think so. Thanks Gary. I'll fit the d/p now and get the remap done when the cash is available!

Alex