Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ECU Probs!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2003, 03:05 PM
desi
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hello all! This is my first posting. I recently purchased a 93WRX. Noticed a bit of noise and vibration coming from footwell of drivers side, turnes out to be a cracked heat shield. Question is, does anyone do a stainless one or anything better than the tinny looking one in there?

Next problem!

After driving for a little while, CEL kept coming on and going off. checked the ECU diagnostic bit, and the faults i got were MAF Sensor, Throttle position sensor and idle air controller solenoid. The car has a full HKS system from downpipe and back and had a K&N filter installed. My question is would this affect the sensors in this way or do i have a problem elsewhere? Does the ECU retain these errors as a log and maintains them until the ECU is reset? If i reset the ECU, how long would it be before the ECU finds the fault and displays the CEL again? Going to take it back to the garage where i got it on Friday, but was hoping for some help and some pointers before going back to them.. they could just waffle and try and blag it, so armed with some knowledge may help my cause... also they may just reset the ECU and tell me they have fixed it, so would like to know how long before the fault would show up again... phew!! bit long winded but got there in the end.

Oh yeh, does anyone know a decent garage in sussex where i can have the car checked? Would be very much appreciated.

thanks
Old 19 May 2003, 08:30 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat shield on my WRX has cracked 3 times in two years. Never heard of a replacement though. Might just take it off and wrap the exhaust instead. When I had a fault with mine, the ecu cleared the fault as soon as I had sorted the problem so I presume it will do this for all of yours. Can't really help with the other points though. If they are genuine faults then get it back to the garage as you are talking lots of dosh to replace all the mentioned sensors. Sorry i can't be of more help

[Edited by Charlie H - 5/19/2003 8:32:09 PM]