Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2003, 06:30 PM
Scoobie_Dave
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I am new to scooby ownership and am so far enjoying it (apart from the fuel bills!) I have just bought a MY00 Impreza turbo from a main dealer. But since having it I have noticed that the clutch sometimes judders quite badly, and when driving ‘enthusiastically’ when changing gear there is a screeching noise from the clutch. I took it back to the dealer to get them to check this and a clunking noise, but they said the judder is a common problem and the clutch isnt slipping so they wont do anything. Does this sound like a major problem or should I live with it?

Thanks

Dave
Old 17 May 2003, 06:35 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

If its still under warranty they should fix it..!! i know a few people on here have, they are just trying to fob you off... Subaru have even designed a new clutch now which has been modified to stop the judder problem.

Dan

Old 17 May 2003, 06:47 PM
Scoobie_Dave
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply, Its not under the original 3 year warranty, as it was just 3 years old when I bought it (end of April) but I did get a 2 year 'proven' warranty and I dont know whether it would be covered by that. I am a bit worried out about the warranty cover because from looking at the service history of the car it has been serviced according to mileage and not time between services, so because of that one of the boxes in the service history hasnt been stamped, would this mean the warranty is void? or is it valid from when I bought the car so long as I have it serviced on time?

Thanks
Old 17 May 2003, 06:52 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Dave

Best thing you can do is talk the dealer you got it from. I'm assuming that you got it from a Subaru Main Dealer. If so, see what they say. Normally the clutch is only covered for the first 20000 miles. It is not a hard and fast rule and normally depends on the dealer backing you up when they put the warranty claim in.

I did have the clutch on my MY00 replaced for this (as have many other people) and I'm about to get the clutch replaced on my MY01 for the same reason. My car is still under the original 3 year warranty, but it has done more than 20K miles.

Chris