Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ECU Question

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2003, 07:41 PM
sean.howell
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I about to fit, an induction kit, dawes device and AFR meter, and a cat replacement downpipe, to a 94 WRX. the question is do I need to get the ecu looked at/replaced to avoid damaging the engine or can I run it like this until I have the funds.
Old 05 December 2003, 12:25 AM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

1) Buy a knocklink. Don't mess about, just buy one. There are too many people on Scoobynet who said "I'll get one tomorrow" and have blown their engines.

2) It sounds like you want to go outside the fuel cut? Depending on which car you have, it will cut the injectors if it sees too much boost. IF you are staying inside the fuel cut, then the AFR is really a bit extraneous, just stick your dawes device and knocklink on and you should be able to make around 0.9 - 1.1 Bar (depending on your car).

If you are thinking of defeating the fuel cut (with an FCD) then the AFR, a knocklink and probably an EGT are essential kit.
Many people would also reccomend some kind of fuel pressure regulator, and possibly an uprated fuel pump.
I would also make sure you car is in tip-top condition before going down this route.

As an alternative, you amy wish to consider www.scoobyECU.co.uk, who do a software tune on your car giving results that are widely regarded on here as "impressive".
Unless you are planning to go mad, this and a downpipe are probably your best option.

[Edited by Turbo_Steve - 5/12/2003 12:28:47 AM]