Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Cambelt tensioning wheel noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2003, 07:45 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

What sort of noise does this make when it's on its way out. I've done a search and it seems that it makes a noise very similar to piston slap. Since owning the car (over 3 years.... MY93 WRX) it's made a noise at idle (hot ot cold) and low revs that makes it sound like a tractor. Maybe not quite that bad but it is noticeable. With the car being this old and the noise being there hot or cold im pretty sure it is't piston slap but it does sound like the audio clip currently doing the rounds.

If it is the tensioning wheel what sort of cost are we looking at.... it's due for a cambelt change soon anyway. Also any way i could check myself if it is this wheel.

Cheers,

Tony.
Old 06 May 2003, 07:46 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Ooops... forget the e-mail notification .

Tony
Old 06 May 2003, 02:41 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Exclamation

I don't know if this is of any use, but I've just replaced the water pump, the bearings had gone. A grumbling / grating noise was coming from the cam cover, which by the ears of that man Lawson was diagnosed as the water pump. On replacement a few of the idler gear bearings were noisy so these were replaced as well. However the idler gear bearings could'nt be heard during normal running.

I was advised not to run the car at all since if you can hear the bearing on tick over then its close to breaking down. BTW if it breaks down it can throw the timing belt

Justin
Old 07 May 2003, 07:35 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Cheers Justin.... time to get someone to look at it i think.

Tony.
Old 08 May 2003, 12:50 AM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hi Tony,

First thing to say is I have got the same noise as you - piston slap sound when cold, sometime worse when warm and sometimes not that noticable when warm .

Second thing to say is that I had the cambelt tensioner replaced in Feb 2002, although it wasn't making any noise at that time - it was just leaking. I posted the same question and someone replied with the following:

There are two different tensioners. The earlier cars ran a simpler design which does indeed cost about 98quid from uk subaru dealers. The later design unit is generally closer to 200quid.
The one for my car (MY97) was just under £200, but luckily yours is an early one. I hope my noise is a pulley, but being a MY97 I guess it's a prime candidate for 'the slap' .

Going to the dealers next week to have it diagnosed (fingers-X'd ).

Jamie
Old 08 May 2003, 08:02 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jamie... fingers crossed for you.

Tony.