Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Who Can do custom remaps???

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2003, 11:15 AM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I am fitting an FMIC and TD05 to my MY00 UK in a few weeks I am looking at my remap options, I already have a Tek2 map and that cost me £700 so would really like to get a Tek3 to keep the cost down but as PE won't do custom remaps and BRD want £700 for a BRD3 I feel my options are limited to just BRD, is there anyone else that can do a custom ecutek map for me at a reasonable cost?

Old 15 April 2003, 11:31 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

How about flogging the Tek2 & getting a 'plain' 802 & return, then getting that one remapped?
Old 15 April 2003, 01:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tricky one, the licensing situation is slightly complex and has developed over the last year.

AFAIK, apart from the very early Tek 2s from Ecutek directly, for the MY99/00 they left a programming license in the ECU (early ones not because of technical reasons). This means that at a later date they can be reprogrammed without further license fees, and so just the mapping charge for further tweaks. I am not aware that this has changed, and previously I have tweaked a few Tek 2s.

For the New Age cars I believe the license put in the ECUs is tuner specific so only that tuner can later tweak them, this is to keep things honourable, I guess particularly with Prodrive and the US market now on board things are on another level commercially.

Whatever, only Ecutek can read out the contents of a map AFAIK, so tuners cannot nick others maps. Any tuner can overwrite any ECU if they do that model, but they may or may not have to use a new license which will cost them and hence potentially increase the costs of remapping.

Pros/cons of either method. As I said it was complex, the best thing is to speak to BRD about your requirements and see what the situation is with your ECU which may take them to actually plug in the laptop and see what license for reprogramming is on it.

At the end of the day this situation should not be the customer's concern, but things have developed over the last year as the market has grown and matured.

If there are issues with potentially bad situations of paying twice for something I am sure that any of us would try and discuss it with a customer and Ecutek if necessary to be fair and decent and indeed once I did this as an early Tek 2 had no license in it so I would have made a loss reprogramming it. Hence I suggest you speak to Bob as he would be able to sort out what you've got and what is required. Hope that is OK Bob!
Old 15 April 2003, 03:04 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

I have spoken to BRD and the cost for remaping my Tek2 is the same as it cost in the first place, not a happy bunny. I wish I had gone down the Link road to start with. I bought the Tek2 originally thinking it was great VFM and with my then (dec2002) plan mods I would only have to pay for RR time.

I have just spoken to Clive Atthowe tuning and they can do custom maps and only charge for the RR time which if it took 8 hours still works out half the price of a Tek2 to BRD3 remap!!!!
Old 15 April 2003, 03:22 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have never heard of any Clive Atthowe tuned subarus so I cannot comment on them. However, I can comment on BRD. And in terms of the mapping ability, they are excellent, and one of the best in the business.
Old 15 April 2003, 03:51 PM
Raptor
Scooby Regular

I´m in the same situation Jake
I also have a PE TEK2 (from June 2002).
JB, do you know when they started with the licensing on the ECU?
Old 15 April 2003, 04:00 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Christian
I have no doubt that BRD are the best in the business its just the cost. For example if you bought a Link package for £1400 and then wanted to adjust the map at a late date because of new mods you wouldn't expect to pay another £1400 again would you?

Trending Topics

Old 15 April 2003, 04:23 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Raptor I think yours would probably have a license in it to allow reprogramming.

I think the only real issue is if you change mappers or your original suppliers don't do custom mapping. I think with dialogue with suppliers it can be resolved though
Old 15 April 2003, 04:36 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

I will have to speak to Ecutek and PE in more detail as this seems to be a major problem with Ecutek Ecu's. I can't understand why PE the people who developed the software won't do custom maps, It doesn't make sense.