Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

PPP - dyno results - slightly disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2003, 09:11 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

went to PE yesterday with my STi7 PPP (new ecutek version) and got 289bhp & 286 torque.

Mutant_Matt linked in his Delta Dash and captured the output. Simon (i think) from Prodrive looked at the results and said there was nothing wrong and more than likely it was some dodgey fuel. I was running Esso Super 97.

Should I be disappointed with the results or just ignore them. The cars drives great anyway. It's just that when you pay £2k for 300/299, you expect to see 300/299 not 289/286.

Someone mentioned it could be a dirty maf sensor or something...

Any comments ?
Old 13 April 2003, 10:41 AM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Different rolling roads, weather conditions, fuel quality all add in variants, I wouldn't be too upset about those figures.

If it's really bugging you get it booked in somewhere else, try another fuel type and chuck in some octane booster.

I doubt the Maf is dirty on such a low mileage car, but worth asking the dealer to clean it anyway.

I know my PPP is working without worrying about doing a RR session, a few bhp in either direction doesn't really bother me.

Old 13 April 2003, 10:43 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Take it back on a nice cold, damp day in Nov./Dec. and get another 10+ bhp?
Old 13 April 2003, 10:57 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Hot days and crap fuel ruin results from these cars. The power is within 4% which is also well within the errors from fuel/octane/rolling roads.
Old 13 April 2003, 12:44 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

If it is any consolation to you the results I got from P.E. were lower than the results from both G-Force and Well Lane the previos day (Friday)
Also it was quite warm on the rollers for me so that could cost a little bit.
Old 13 April 2003, 02:15 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You probably get more power on the road than on a rolling road due to airflow.
Also if your car still has only a few k miles on it then its still going to be pretty tight (my MY00 was for around 8k then loosened up lovely )
If it goes like stink on the road then thats what your after adn not the results from a rolling road which will only really tell you if something is seriously wrong with the car (sounds pretty normal does yours )

Tony
Old 13 April 2003, 06:36 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mark,

Just to re-itterate, the Advance Multiplier was not running at it's maximum so whilst the car was happy with the level it is running at the moment, the overall performance level is down from what it *can* be, due to a problem in the past (which Simon said was most likely to be due to some dodgy fuel or some previous det). It *should* get better all by itself, assuming it doesn't encounter further gremlins.

Try running Optimax and see if it feels any stronger (though feeling thost extra 10 horses may be a little too difficult for the butt dyno )

If it's any consolation, Lemmie's STi was slightly down on the expected figures today (though his advance multiplier was running at maximum) so perhaps it being warmer may have had a hand in it?

Ta,

Matt

[Edited by mutant_matt - 4/13/2003 6:38:33 PM]

Trending Topics

Old 13 April 2003, 10:33 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

As Matt says above my STi7 only gave 309 hp and 294 lbft yesterday running on Optimax. In February it gave 319 hp and 292 hp with a flatter torque curve directly after a remap on Esso SUL. Over the next 200 miles the performance certainly felt like it improved alot so I was expecting at least 325 hp on Saturday and was rather disappointed with only 309 hp. I put the "low" power down to the warmer weather and maybe Optimax.

The difference between Saturday's run and previously was 10 hp which is about the same fall in power that your car showed.

Alan
Old 14 April 2003, 12:40 AM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL rolling road results are totally bollicks , esp on stand alone results . only use them as a slight comp only

steve

Old 14 April 2003, 06:54 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***
Matt,

can you explain in english, what the advance multiplier is...
Old 14 April 2003, 08:29 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL - blind leading the blind...

Basically, it's an overall "Happiness Ratio" (tm Dave Power ). If the car is happy with conditions (fuel, lack of det etc.) it will increase the AM. If there have been problems then it reduces the AM which has an overall effect on the other individual settings - e.g. it will run less timing (which I think what was happening in your case). It is a course method of controlling how close to the edge the ECU is happy to run. If you really want to know how it works, you'll need to speak to either Merv, Stephen Done, Pat or Bob.

Matt
Old 14 April 2003, 08:33 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Stephen,
LOL rolling road results are totally bollicks , esp on stand alone results . only use them as a slight comp only
Usually, the same car on PE's rollers with no changes will run within a few bhp from multiple runs, months apart. PE's rollers in my experience are usually very consistent.....

Matt
Old 14 April 2003, 09:54 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Wink

Matt

I guess Simon knows nothing about it then....

Mike
Old 14 April 2003, 12:47 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mike,

Of course not, after all - he works for Prodrive doesn't he and I don't know if you've noticed, but apparently, that means he can't know anything about "proper" tuning....

Matt
Old 14 April 2003, 01:34 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I dont think I have met anyone in my experience of tuning imprezas who haswnt worked for prodrive at some stage.