Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

gasket for exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2003, 10:14 PM
Hel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an MY98 with full scoobysport system(down, mid and back) - lovely sound. I want to put the original exhaust system back on and have noticed that when the garage(subaru main dealer) put the scoobysport exhaust on they charged for a "Gasket Turbo Out" part No 44022AA180(it cost 12.66 + VAT 18 months ago).

Do I have to get another one of these Gaskets and if so is it a different one or exactly the same. Does anyone have a pic of what these gaskets look like.

Also do you think that its worth getting the garae to put the original exhaust back on (they say it takes 2 hours = approx £100) or can I get a mate of mine (mechanic) to do it(I've been reading all these posts about lambda sensors and stuff and it seems a bit worrying).

from
Paul G
Old 10 April 2003, 11:05 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

The only gaskets I'd change each time would be up-pipe joints. The other gaskets only see a few mBar of pressure so a bit of Fire Gum over the flanges should do the trick.

Steve
Old 10 April 2003, 11:25 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Firegum or whatnot for the join from mid to back certainly; the DP to mid has a bit of a wierd one on the original, which should be reuseable. The turbo exhaust to DP may or may not be reuseable - may just be me, but I'd use a gasket rather than firegum there... it's a bit hot around there so the gasket can go brittle quite easily & stop working. Could also have sealed itself to both the back of the turbo & the DP in which case removing the DP will knacker it...
Any competent mechanic should be able to swap the exhaust system over, as long as they're paying attention! There's only the lambda sensor to be removed 'electrically' - a little care needs to be taken to not remove the threads when taking it out, and also it needs to be remoembered to plug it back in again afterwards but the car will be running like pants if it isn't anyway so you should notice!
Old 13 April 2003, 03:49 PM
Hel
Scooby Regular

Are you saying that the lambda sensor disconnects from my current downpipe and I then reconnect it to the original downpipe. Does anyone have a pic(or description) of what the lamdba sensor looks like.

thanks
Old 13 April 2003, 08:29 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

when fitting the back box to the center section use window sealant on the joint. this seals the joint perfect. garages do this and claim gaskets fitted.