Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch judder........ Flexi-Flywheel the answer ?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2003, 06:04 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Just reported a clutch screech and judder whilst car was in for service today, was informed that Subaru are now fitting re-designed parts for warranty claims. This includes a Flexi- Flywheel what ever that is, anybody had one of these ?

I'm quite pleased, there's a good chance Subaru will approve the work, MY00 with 30K. This will be my second replacement the first was done at 9K.

Allan

Old 05 April 2003, 09:17 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i've fitted a few of these now and so far they have been ok the turbos come with them as standard now and have done for a bit and they have just started to put them in the legacys which had a dual mass flywheel that sounded like a canary under the bonnet.
Old 05 April 2003, 09:53 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Yep, the dealer seemed to think that the results so far were encouraging.

Fingers crossed I can get this done, as it's out of warranty in two months.

Cheers
Old 23 April 2003, 11:02 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Had the re-designed parts fitted today, top service from Osbournes this is the second warranty clutch I have had without complaint from Subaru so full marks on that score.

However I'm not convinced the re-design has worked, I've still got judder which is probably worse than before, particularly at low revs. I also thought I detected a slight screech but can't be sure.

Will be monitoring over the next few days to see if things settle down, not impressed so far.

Allan
Old 23 April 2003, 11:43 PM
mikey5T
Scooby Regular

Location: from an MY00 to a WR1 driving around sunny Staffordshire
Angry

After Subaru fitting clutch replacement number 7 (yes you did read it right SEVEN!!!!)on my MY00 after 22,000 miles under warranty I can confirm that the new improved clutch assembly has finally cured the clutch judder problem on my scooby (fingers crossed). I have however had a different problem on two seperate occations where the clutch pedal bite goes right to the top of the pedal as if something has stuck and makes it a nightmare to do hill starts i.e. loads of revs while you wait for the bite and then a sudden lurch forward when you get to it. It seems to cure itself after about 10 mins but it baffles the hell out of me why it does every now and then.
Mike
Old 23 April 2003, 11:45 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

I've had 2 under warranty on mine (MY00), the last one about a month ago, is the latest attempt at curing the problem and it seems to have worked. The clutch is a lot lighter and no judder so far.
Old 24 April 2003, 12:58 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Yep I noticed is was a lot lighter as well. That's worring that you both report a cure though.

Mike, thanks for the warning about the sticking.

Allan

Old 24 April 2003, 11:23 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Had mine done about 4 months before I traded it for my MY03 and it transformed the car.

Lighter, smoother & no judder. Such a difference - shame they didnt invent it 3 years ago!

It is the same as the clutch they fit in the new shape cars.

It requires a total replacement though - everything in the bellhousing is changed even down to the bolts holding the flywheel & Clutch cover on!

[Edited by Dr Hu - 4/24/2003 11:26:19 PM]
Old 25 April 2003, 08:25 AM
Allan
Scooby Regular

OK, can one of you guys who has the improved design confirm something for me.

On a flat surface going forwards with the engine warm, gently engage the clutch from a standstill with no revs, do you get any judder ? or does it take up smoothly.

This is where mine will vibrate enough to visably shake the back of the passenger seat.

Am I expecting too much ?

Cheers
Old 26 April 2003, 09:56 AM
Taylor.m
Scooby Regular

how come i only get clutch judder some mornings for about 5 mins and thats not all the time mine just seems smooth its a my00 turbo
Old 26 April 2003, 03:16 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

I assume you are on the original clutch, if so then it sounds like you have the classic symptoms which are being dealt with under warranty.

This is how mine was originally and the first replacement was supposed to have cured, it didn't. They are now fitting an improved design which has been OK for some.

Can anybody comment as per my previous post, thanks.

Allan

Old 26 April 2003, 10:11 PM
mikey5T
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'll have a go tomorrow and see if it does it. This sounds like the way my clutch was before the the modified one was fitted. Some times the car would feel like it was going to shake itself to bits pulling out from a junction it was that bad.Clutch number 6 was the worst that just juddered constantly hot or cold. I think you should take it back and get it sorted.One of my previous clutches only lasted a week before it was changed, it wasn't fit correcly by so called qualified Subaru technicians (they should have fit it right ,they have had enough practice at it!!!!).
Old 26 April 2003, 11:20 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Mike.
Old 27 April 2003, 06:15 PM
motorman
Scooby Regular

I had the revised clutch fitted under warranty a couple of months ago and can also confirm that there's no sign of the judder that 'came as standard' on the two previous items (replaced at 16000 and 25000 on my MY00). Also find the new one much lighter so I hope that doesn't mean less clamping pressure and possible slip earlier in its life!!

Jon
Old 27 April 2003, 09:58 PM
mikey5T
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

AllanP

I tried what you asked and only found a very very slight judder, nothing to worry me about as I used to get paranoid about bloody clutch judder. This could have had something to do with the very low revs and the engine near to stalling though. It does sound like you have still got the problem to me.

I think we should start our own scoobynet self help group called C.A.(Clutches Anonymous). My names Mike and I'm a clutchaholic, It's been 3000 miles since my last clutch and all that

Hope this has helped talking to a fellow sufferer.

Mike
Old 28 April 2003, 08:31 AM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mike and Jon, sounds like mine might be going back then to get it checked out

That makes at least 4 of you then with no judder, I might need to join CA if I can't get this sorted

Cheers