Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

De-catted....have I got a problem???

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2003, 04:18 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Having had my car de-catted ( 98MY) I tend to get a strong smell of fumes - not particularly petrol but something like. It is using more fuel and doesn't seem to be as quick as people say it should be! ...feels a bit sluggish at times.Its coming up for the service that includes plug change so will they help?
Also, every time I come to a stop I get a smell of oil in the car but nothing drips onto the garage floor.
Thanks in advance.
Zip.
Old 17 March 2003, 04:43 PM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Zip

After I had a decat downpipe fitted, I lost a lot of the power lower down the rev range - keeping the revs higher helped combat the sluggishness and there was a lot more power higher up than previously.

Until I had it mapped I just changed my driving style slightly and it was fine.

As for the smell, could it be some spilt oil on the exhaust that you can smell after its got hot on a run?

Ben
Old 18 March 2003, 10:18 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Question

Gussie, did the map give power lower down as before the de-cat?
And did you use more fuel before the re-map?
zip
Old 18 March 2003, 12:21 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

I am about to add a decat downpipe to my MY98. Has ScoobySport centre and backbox already.

Was surprised on what I read in this post. I thought I was going to see quicker pick up rather it become more sluggish at lower revs? Sounds like I totally misunderstood?

Also I wasnt planning on a re map. Is this essential?

Does this 3 piece de cat give greater than 10% power increase? Wondering about insurance as dont you have to tell them if it is over 10%?

Sorry about the hijacking with my questions!

Matt
Old 18 March 2003, 07:16 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Talking

Normally the decat downpipe does get the turbo in at lower revs, and the ECU works round it. Obviously, you can be unlucky on occassions and need the remap.

Molds - 10% is irrelevant, you have to declare anything that changes the vehicle from the manufacturers specification, so just a backbox and centre would need to be declared too. A full decat would probably give you more than 10% power increase.
Old 19 March 2003, 12:11 PM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Zip

The remap did give me most of the power back lower down but it still only kicks in properly at 4000 rpm, however, theres loads more power above that than previously.

The full decat and induction kit moved my peak power figure from 244 bhp to 285 bhp - rolling roaded it before and after the changes - cant remember the torque figures now as it was a few years ago. Its never felt as comfortable below 4000 rpm as it was before but keeping the revs higher (with 1.4 bar from 4000rpm to redline) means that it feels so much swifter.

Fuel I'm not sure about - I've always got 200-240 miles on a tank.

Ben
Old 19 March 2003, 10:09 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
Smile

I've got a full Scoobymania system & I don't know whether the twin dump makes a major difference (splitting the turbo & exhaust) but mines & lot quicker on the pick-up at lower revs. I would have expected this to be the case for all due to the downpipe cat being so restrictive??

Mine is a MY95 with the TDO5 turbo which I know is a lot stronger at the top of the rev range but lower down it improved a lot & I get through first & second gear like they don't exist

MAFFA
Old 20 March 2003, 08:07 PM
Scoobs_4ever
Scooby Regular

I'd agree with MAFFA. I have a full APS decat system fitted and its made a huge difference to the pick-up at low revs.

The turbo spools up so much quicker and from lower revs. The kick starts at least 500rpm lower now (just under 2500 rpm) and it does seem to have given a much smoother and broader power delivery - wouldn't say its increased the bhp as such, just made it more useable.

Plus it sounds good.
Andy.