Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MAF or Lambda sensor failure?

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2003, 10:25 AM
necromax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had a decat exhaust fitted, and have found intermittently that car runs like a dog for a couple of miles until its warmed up. Basically feels like its 'missing' .. now I had the service done the day before where it had new spark plugs, new cam belt (45000 mile servce) .... so, what is the most likely cause?? More importantly, it didn't do it before, so do I go back to Subaru who did the servicing on the Monday, or the guys that fitted the exhaust on the Tuesday?
Is it possible lambda was damaged when removed/refitted?
They also managed to knock off my induction kit filter during the process..
Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Its a MY98, so if anyone has the part number for the MAF if thats whats gone I'd appreciate it.. prefer the idea of £70ish rather than best part of £300...

Thanks guys

Necromax
Old 05 March 2003, 06:48 PM
MBartlett
Scooby Newbie

I too have a similar problem... I fitted a complete exhaust system/ down pipe / centre and back box.. and the power seems to be down a little...
I suspect the lambda sensor was damaged on mine.. ( high fuel consumption etc) and i have been told to replace the lambda any way at 30k miles. I am als having the maf sensore replaced... I have an erratic tick over and sometimes stalls.

I copied and pasted the information that you wanted below from another post:
Hope this helps...

Just incase anyone gets ripped off like I nearly did by my local dealer trying to get a MAF sensor only (£76 inc) instead for being charged £280 for the complete thing.

The part number is 22794AA010 - Meter CP-AIR Flow

Made me mad, just want others to be aware that this part IS available as the sensor only.
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=154601 for my rant at the dealer in question.

Cheers,

Mark

Old 05 March 2003, 07:36 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

AFAIK the lambda is not part of the equation when the car is cold as they have to run at 300+ degC. I presume it is the engine temp sensor which tells the ECU when to start listening to the lambda as all cars tend to run rich when cold.
Also the lambda is ignored on wot, so if the problem still exists under this condition then it will more than likely not be the lambda at fault.
Saying that, it may be worth while checking the cable hasn't been trapped in the process of fitting a new zorst - quite common apparantly.

Leeroy