New Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2003, 01:14 AM
Justin S
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hey guys,
the clutch in my my99 is starting to judder a little bit when cold & you first drive away. I should get some more life out of it before a change but when i do eventually change it what is the best make/type of clutch to get if i want one thats just a little bit better than the standard issue? If i go for to good a clutch i'm worried that i'll lose the "fuse" for the std gearbox?
Also is it worth lightening the flywheel whilst it's out or just give it a skim over?

Cheers
Justin
Old 27 February 2003, 11:16 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi,
i just got an AP racing organic jobby fitted at TSL & also lightened the flywheels at the same time.
I wood say WOAH on the power delivery front it just shows up how bad the OE clutch was being the week point between the large amount of power from engine & large amount of grip from all 4 wheels! ie it pulls so quickly now & if i feel like ebing a muppet from teh lights i can red line it & side step clutch although probably still not advisable unlikely to slip & can take loads of abuse.
I have stalled it a few times getting used to the totally different bighting point point but that's just sumin i gota get used to but it is a good point to note for future refernence that the more u have 2 release clutch b4 bite point the less life left on clutch mine was right at the top & had started to slip (hence y i changed it all) & is now right at the bottom tiz very strange but all good
Also feels much lighter pressure to move clutch pedal so i'm not sure if this is just c/o new clutch fluid etc or whether directly caused by lightened flywheel?
Either way tis all good & if yer clutch is on it's way out as described above i'd recommend considering a better un as a large portion of expense is labour so may as well go 4 sumin decent
Si
Old 27 February 2003, 11:28 AM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Location: I wish we had a non-profit making website to put here.
My clutch is goosed too. I was wondering about the replacement kit grade A do. It seems very cheap... has anyone tried it??
What is the general feeling on a remanufactured unit anyway??
Old 27 February 2003, 03:08 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb

Justin

Bought an STi clutch from Revolution for £300 + post and very pleased with the outcome.

Local garage charged £150 to fit.

Richard
Old 27 February 2003, 08:13 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

If you want cheap then look in the flywheel thread.. I cannot be arsed to type it all in again..

JGM
Old 28 February 2003, 05:04 PM
Bumpkin
Scooby Regular

just fitted an ebc item. cant rate it highly enough. cheap too. gets my vote.
Old 28 February 2003, 11:30 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is the price on the EBC and where from??

Cheers

JGM

Trending Topics

Old 01 March 2003, 01:17 PM
Bumpkin
Scooby Regular

got mine straight from ebc through a contact on here (do a search, you may well be able to find him, a very good bloke), but EBC are pretty amenable to blags if youre brass necked enough to press on when the secretary tells you they dont deal with individuals (some friends have done it and got top deals. you can always give a false contact name or say youre trade i spose). I paid 160 quid. failing that demon tweeks are stocking them now, and theyre only about 170 notes in there (plus the usual hidden demon tweeks charges of vat, then vat on the vat, then postage, then vat on the postage, than vat on top of the whole thing, then some vat for good measure). it is lighter and easier to use than the oe item and apparently good for 350 horses. So youll save money cos youll need none of the steriods required when using the ap item, especially in traffic. Though im sure the ap is very good and probably much much better, this is half the price and twice as usable with enough capacity for most. Really, really good.

B.
Old 01 March 2003, 08:05 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info mate!

JGM