Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Awkward Box

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2003, 10:20 AM
Swiss Tony
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm new here & pretty new to the world of Impreza driving. I bought a 5 door 98 Turbo UK spec about a month ago. I test drove 3 I think & ended up buying from an oficial Subaru dealer. The car has 57K on it & came with the Subaru warranty & a history of course. The original dealer told me that the shift was standard, ie not quickshift.
Within a couple of days the gearchange was getting on my T*ts. 1st to 2nd & particularly 2nd to 3rd are baulky. 2nd to third I'd say 50% of the time it feels like the gear is "just" engaging - almost snatchy - difficult to put across in words so hope you get my drift. The change feels almost over positive - almost like a dog box. Put it like this ...........The quaiffe straight cut heavy duty box on my Caterham has an easier shift.

So I make a call to Subaru warranty & book it into my local Subaru dealer - not the one I purchased from. They drive it & have it for 8 days and I'm told that they've changed the synchro's on 1/2 & 3/4.....I saw the bill to Subaru warranty but wasn't given a copy. This dealer tells me that the car does have a quick shift fitted & that that makes the change more "notchy"

Absolutely no difference in driving. Still doesn't feel right to me.

I'm the kind that worries. If I'm told by someone who KNOWS that the change should be like that & that it's down to the quickshift then fine I'll get on with. It's just that the dealer service managers seem sooooo vague. Getting a diagnosis & an explanation of what they'd done was like drawing teeth. Of course I'm thinking now "why have they done what they've done if the change should be like that?"

So what do you lot think?
I used to drive a CRX, my missus has an MX5 & I also have a Caterham as mentioned above. I've been driving for 17 years so I've seen a fair few boxes in my time (so to speak)
Thanks in advance.
Old 10 February 2003, 10:42 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At 57k (is that miles or km, actually?) If it's 57k miles, it's just about due for a gearbox oil change. Made a huge difference to mine. I'd have thought that the dealers would have had to change it though when they changed the synchro. Which makes me wonder if they actually did anything...
It should be a not bad shift at all. I don't know the CRX, but it should be more slotty/positive than an MX5 (from my experience ) Not a spot on the Caterham, though