Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

PPP with ECU only?

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2003, 12:45 PM
b5m
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have got the oppurtunity to swop my standard MY00 AE802 ecu for the Prodrive ECU. The reason for this is the buyer wants to run it like this. Now obviously I need to run a minimum of 95RON. What are the implications though with a standard exhaust and plastic intercooler pipe? I guess it will run richer due to the more restricive exhaust. Also will the extra boost "pop" the intercooler hose? Also would a change in restrictor size be required to prevent overboost? I unfortunately do not have a boost gauge but the weather is quite warm here at the moment 15C-30C.

I will take it easy until the rest of the Prodrive parts are supplied but I still want to drive it
Old 10 January 2003, 04:37 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

The weak point will definitely be the plastic Y-piece pipe under the intercooler. I replaced mine with Samco parts when I put a PPP ECU in my old MY00 turbo. With a standard exhaust on you probably won't have any probs with overboost; I ran mine with a full decat exhaust and prodrive PPP backbox and never had any snags.
Enjoy
Old 10 January 2003, 04:55 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I assume 95ron is high in your neck of the woods then?! 98 would be nicer....

But the PPP ecu will be fine as long as you do the i/c pipes soon after fitting. I wouldn't try and raise the boost any though (you don't mention, so I guess you wont be), certainly not while you keep the stock centre and backbox.

You wont get any overboost problems until you decat the downpipe - but, conversely, decatting the d/p and resizing the restictor (to control any overboost) will be much healthier for your engine if you're limited to 95ron.

Richard
Old 10 January 2003, 07:09 PM
Caronte
Scooby Regular

I also changed the samco Y hose for a metal one sold for gr.n cars by Subaru. The problem with silicon is that it deteriorates an loses its elesticity after some time. therefore it could brake.

A.