Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

EGTs..How useful?

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2002, 02:18 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Am I correct in beleiving that if the sensor is housed in the correct place that EGTs give an accurate picture of whats going on in the cylinder.Or can a compouding factor confuse things? If they do give an accurate reflection then its a must have after a Knocklink is'nt it?( to prevent piston failure) Also,Nitosport has them advertised for £180 for the guage plus £180 for the sensor! Anybody know where you can get them cheaper?
Old 24 December 2002, 02:50 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RS51 and a 3mm K type thermocouple is what I use. Less than £80.

Part numbers have been on earlier threads - can't find them now.

Might be useful on the STi in particular since the engine is still new to us.

You could have no det and have a high EGT that could melt something conceivably, so it is another warning device.
Old 24 December 2002, 03:23 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

John.... didn't i hear you once say that you wouldn't buy another EGT gauge? Im woundering whether to get one and according to HKS it's the most important gauge you'll ever have. I think i remember you saying that you never got the results you predicted.... do you still feel that way?

I don't really want to spend a lot on a gauge that's not going to do much for me. Are these gauges more suited to people running 1.8 bar than 1.1 bar for example????

Tony.
Old 24 December 2002, 04:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I checked it a few times, and ON MY PARTICULAR SPEC OF CAR it never influenced a tuning decision. But I wouldn't have known the EGTs were safe if I had never fitted one. I suppose it is easy knowing the EGTs are OK to now say I wouldn't have bothered, but after Andy F scared me into fitting one I would have never have got the doubt out of my mind if I hadn't.

Might check it again sometime, since the plug is there

For the STi things are more unknown, so any data is useful.

Kind of wappy logic maybe, but there you go.
Old 24 December 2002, 05:43 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thanks John.I d'ont intend to use it to goal direct tuning but want it to be an early indicator that my combustion is'nt right so someone clever can solve it.Can you tell me clearly whether it does accurately reflect combustion temps or are there other factors that influence it.In other words if my EGTs are normal can I take it with 100% certainity that my pistons are not getting hot.
Could you please tell me what a RS51 is,and where did you get it and the thermocouple(I know what that is!!) Many thanks,Deep.
Old 24 December 2002, 05:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

www.rswww.com

206-3722 (meter)
363-0294 (charge temp)
397-1264 (EGT probe)
158-610 (compression gland for fitting)

You can't guarantee in cyl temps from EGT, just estimate.
Old 24 December 2002, 06:11 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Cheers John you're a top man.Good luck with the practice(I'm in the 'job' too!)
Old 24 December 2002, 06:33 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
You can't assume that just because your AFR's are good, and you are "det' free" that everything is fine.

We also found this on the engine bench dyno, when we hit over 1000 just before the turbo deg'C !!!

Mark.

Old 24 December 2002, 10:26 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Mark,I'm not quite sure I understand what you are trying to say.Can you please elaborate?
Old 26 December 2002, 12:53 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I think what he's trying to say (may be wrong) that even if your lambdalink (or wideband ) and knocklink are showing all clear that your engine isn't going to die. If the ignition is retarded too much high egts can be had and melt the engine (what else causes high egts????).

Think im going to get one...... but do i need an oil temp and pressure as well???? I haven't got that many spaces .

Tony.
Old 26 December 2002, 12:10 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Yes thats exactly what I'm trying to get at.If my EGTs are ok THEN(and no det on KL etc) then can I assume that pistons are not getting stressed(assuming oil temp/pressure ok) .Also could the EGT be ok,but one piston is getting really hot,ie EGT is average of all four.
Old 26 December 2002, 03:06 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Deep,

In general terms, if your EGT's are ok, your fuelling is correct, and there's no det', you should be ok. But, like you say, we only get an "average" reading of both fuel, and temp. It's still safer than not having them at all, and gives a better overall picture.

Mark.

Old 26 December 2002, 04:15 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thank you,thats the answer I wanted.Mark,YHM re; price for 2s system.
Old 26 December 2002, 04:22 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Deep,

Most of the time for "non mappers" an EGT is next to useless. It gives you an idea about temps, but that's it.

But.

I can honestly say my EGT saved my engine... long story, don't want to repeat it, but a knackered MAF was replaced by another ... knackered MAF when I needed to get back from Spain to Belgium.

Now reading AFR on full boost is nice, but reading AFR on cruise (very light throttle) with a hot narrowband sensor is quite impossible.

Fortunately, I could tell when reading the EGT meter that I was running WAY hotter than normal at 80 MPH (850°C instead of the usual 700°C), and slowed down to 60 MPH to keep the temps under control (for 1000 miles ...)

The car ran pretty OK on cruise, the lambda sensor was OK, and I had a new MAF, right ? It still ran way too hot.

So there you have it
Old 26 December 2002, 06:03 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Hi Theo.Are'nt you contradicting youself? First you said most of the time the EGT is useless for non mappers(like myself).Then you gave a brilliant example of how it alerted you to a potential major disaster which you avoided.Thats exactly what I want it for,an early warning feature in addition to KL.Just because its only given you useful warning info once ,does'nt mean its not essential.Would you ever drive your car without one again? Merry Xmas matey,Deep.
Old 26 December 2002, 06:26 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Cool

>>Would you ever drive your car without one again?

Nope

Have a good'un yerself
Old 26 December 2002, 09:54 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Theo.