Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Carbon intake part...anybody interested

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2002, 07:31 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I asked this before but didn't get many replies.
Ok, have a look at the part below, I just sent an email to JW Racing if it's possible to make this part and would like to see how many people would buy it if available.

The only difference from the carbon intake part would be that it has the shape of the orange bit below the front indicator (except that it would be fully open of course) so that it would just snap in place, the hose can then be routed to the brakes, induction kit etc and would be available for the left and right side.
And yes I know that some Scoobyxxx company makes those but they attach below the front lip and look sh*te...

Please reply here if any interest
Thanks

Old 08 November 2002, 07:36 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Just for your information,

here is what I'm talking about (when I say the orange bits below the indicator, this pic is from my car)

Old 08 November 2002, 10:54 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

I have thought about this for the pre-MY99 shape bumpers, the inlet would go where the indicators are (the indicators are moved into the sidelights), would it be possible to produce a version which fits like this?

Andrew...
Old 09 November 2002, 07:54 AM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Andrew,
I suppose we have to be able to give a sample to JW Racing and I'm not sure is the pre 99 cars have some plastic part in the bumper that can easily be removed.....

Come on, there must be more interest than only 1 person for this??
Old 09 November 2002, 12:30 PM
swan
Scooby Regular

Less traffic over the weekend = less interest. Is there space inside to run the pipes taking the undertray, etc. into account?

I tried something similar on a new age taking the ducting from where the fogs are to the brakes - was a pain as there's no place to really run it besides between the engine and the plastic wheel arch (for brake ducting).
Old 09 November 2002, 02:47 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Oh well, in my case it would be for the induction filter, so of course my standard airbox is totally removed, however in the wing inside I believe there is still enough space to route an aluminium pipe through...
Old 09 November 2002, 10:44 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Where are all you people that need an induction cold air feed??? Or am I posting in the wrong forum??
Old 11 November 2002, 06:15 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Oh well indeed nobody is interested in this..

Ok how many people are interested in a large Scooby doo sticker to fit the front bonnet?
Increases the airflow over the bonnet, therefore forcing more air in the bonnet scoop through the intercooler and doesn't give Impreza's a stupid image at all...
Old 11 November 2002, 07:20 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

oo, oo, me, me!

Old 11 November 2002, 07:32 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you got one in development for an sti 4 front? like show here:

Old 12 November 2002, 06:25 AM
parso_rex
Scooby Newbie

You need one of these.....much cheaper apart from freight : )

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/msgofast/coldair.html
Old 12 November 2002, 07:56 AM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Unbelievable, that's exactly what I need.
Only problem now is, this company or person is surely from australia and no way to order it without sending a copy of your ID card, driving license, last credit card statement etc etc.....??

Anyway, I'll try and contact the guy and will try to order it while I'm in Japan in December & January, probably will be eaasier....

Thanks for the information, anyway I got a reply from JW Racing already that there will surely not be enough interest in this, therefore he will not make this part....
Old 12 November 2002, 08:48 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

thats just guttering fall pipe. piece of **** to make that.
Old 12 November 2002, 08:54 AM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Ok, so can you make one for me, especially one where the intake part has the same shape as one of the ''orange bits''?

Old 12 November 2002, 09:08 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

i was referring to the one in the link above.

if i had the time i would. dont even have the time to make one for my car.

go to you local diy sore and see what drainpipes and fittings are available. you should be able to make one pretty easily from them.

making the wedge bit out of plastic would be the only hard bit.

i left my wedge there and just used a bigger bore pipe (bigger than the wedge) to ensure all the air went up the pipe
Old 12 November 2002, 09:49 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Personally I like something like this:

available from DMA that also partially protects your from water going to the intake.
JIM
Old 12 November 2002, 11:52 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

There is some other interesting information on that website, in particular the IC tilt kit and his comments on exhaust collectors, but as usual not a lot of hard data.

As for the cool air-intake there does appear to be some interest in just the moulding to fit to the bumper (pre and post-99) rather than a complete kit?

Andrew...
Old 12 November 2002, 01:07 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Andrew,

Indeed my interest would just be the moulding (of the thing below the indicator) and not the complete kit.

The moulding should look like the APEX'i one (photo at the very top) so that an aluminium or any other flexible hose could easily be attached.

Do you know of anybody who could make something like that?
Old 12 November 2002, 01:15 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Maybe...

I'll need to speak to them first.

Andrew...
Old 12 November 2002, 08:52 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

The DMA one looke good too...

why did nobody in the UK have this idea yet?? This hole in the bumper where the orange bit is located is perfect for brake/induction cooling!!
And apparently this kit is a **** to make if you have the tools...
Old 13 November 2002, 07:34 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

How can you avoid the case of water going to the filterbox in every of the above intakes?
DMA part has a hole in the lower area probably for this, but it's enough?
Questions...
JIM
Old 13 November 2002, 08:00 AM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Jim,

On the setup on my car (see the closeup picture on the 1st page, 2nd reply) I tested with a water hose, equipped with a shower spray-like ''pistol'', I turned the water tap up to maximum pressure and sprayed liters and liters of water in the aluminium hose for about 5 minutes at various distances with the bonnet open to cheklc the other end of the alu hose and not a single drop of water made it up the hose to the induction kit.

So, don't worry, as long as you don't drive through 60cm deep puddles no water will ever go up there, even not in heavy rain when overtacking a truck.....
Old 13 November 2002, 01:44 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

This is the solution I used to get cold air to my induction kit:

Old 13 November 2002, 02:37 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

OH, well with THIS solution you can be sure to also get alot of fresh'n'cold water in your induction kit.

Anyway, this duct look sh**te IMO and wouldn't help me a lot because my induction kit is sitting in an AVO carbon box so the air would just pass over the box lid.....
Old 13 November 2002, 03:16 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Alberick,

I have had one of these fitted to my car for over two years now and driven through some very heavy rainstorms. I have never found any significant water sitting under the bonnet, let alone enough to cause problems. A little water in the induction doesn't do any great harm anyway, quite the opposite or they wouldn't sell aquamist systems! You will probably notice that I also have one over the battery and this has caused no problems either. You are entitled to your opinion regarding the looks, they were designed for a purpose, not for their looks, though IMHO they look a bit better than some other scoops that are on the market.

If you fit the duct into the front bumper I assume you won't be sealing it to your carbon box will you? If you ran into standing water with the engine running I dread to think what would happen. I know you said you tested it with a hose pipe, but was the engine running? A turbo engine consumes huge amounts of air when on song and I would avoid any low air intake pickup points personally.
Old 13 November 2002, 04:04 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Right, everybody's opinion about the look, but even if I would like the looks, it wouldn't be of any help because the air it takes in would sweep over the carbon lid but never reach the induction filter.

Yup, the engine was running but just idling....however I'm running the current setup since 1 1/2 years now (alu hose behind the cut-out orange bit to induction and also had never any water coming up). this was checked after heavy raining, overtaking trucks that send off tons of water from the street and the induction never had a drop of water on it. Other point is that we have LHD here so the intake side is even nearer to the other car's or truck's water splash.
The fact is that these bonnet vents DO take in water that will go to the induction and I want to avoid that.

Anyway, thanks for the tip but I saw those bonnets vents before and 1) don't like them 2) don't want to take my WRC-style bonnet vents off for those and 3) they wouldnn't help much.

Old 14 November 2002, 02:45 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Alberick,

Why do you say that these scoops DO take in water? I've never seen it and I have them! You are entitled to your opinion about what works and what doesn't, I just wanted to point out that that with the intake being so low on your car you have to be careful if the whole intake is sealed down to the point of entry. There have been plenty of cases of where standard air intakes on some cars here have sucked up water because they were pointing down alongside the engine, and the internal combustion engine doesn't make a good water pump.

Your intake should behave the same way as mine in normal rain/splashing, my major concern would be if you drove into a flood or ford, if it got to the level of my scoop then the air filter would already be under water anyway
Old 14 November 2002, 03:53 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Why do I think yours takes in water? Well, maybe it doesn't, probably the water that goes in, goes to the back of the car, therefore it's ok.
But, one thing is for sure, if you drive in the rain with the blanking plate taken off, the intake just underneath and don't take any water in, you must be great at avoiding water drops.

Anyway, to conclude. this bonnet vent doesn't suit me, it wouldn't help on my current setup anyway (which is very close to the DBM or Michael South's one), except that I want to have it more nice and neat than the DIY job I currently have.
And until now inside the Carbon box it was always bone dry and believe me it rains very often here, maybe more than in the UK.

Thanks for the tip anyway, If I wouldn't have the Carbon box and the (better looking) WRC style vents, I would surely go for the 2 mini scoops.
Old 14 November 2002, 04:08 PM
hackish
Scooby Regular

One thing that would scare me is that a low mounted cool air kit is likely to ingest water. This is one reason why you don't typically find factory pieces exposed directly to the airstream. I assume it's even worse for you guys since it's rumoured that it always rains in the UK.

-Michael
Old 14 November 2002, 04:20 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Ok, if you talk about a ''low mounted cold air kit'' do you talk about a hose that takes air from low down and directs it to the filter, or the filter that is mounted low (like some I saw that fit into the wheel arch).

Well, if it's the first option I can assure you that no water comes up the pipe. However I agree that if driving through deep (very deep, that is) puddles some water might reach the induction kit, but such puddles don't exist on normal streets or racetracks so no problem here, except some of you guys take shortcuts through the woods to drive to work?

Quick Reply: Carbon intake part...anybody interested