Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Anybody with transmission problems on STi 7 ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2002, 12:01 AM
BlueSTi
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone has had any problems so far with the STi7 tranny/clutch.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks!
Old 20 October 2002, 12:18 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Blue
Nope, not yet, but as the STD STi7UK has only 265ps and real sh*ty turbo lag (4000rpm before big rush) taking off in City use means either stalling or a little too much rev's then smelly clutch time
I have just been PPP'd (Prodrive Performance Pack about $3200) now 305ps and 300lbs of torque the car drives really smoothly and take off at 1000rpm more meaning and fully at 3000 to 7000 nice and Torque far better controlabilty and pull out the corners

Tony
Old 20 October 2002, 12:28 AM
raybotha
Scooby Regular

My findings : Second gear synchro unconoperative till car is near warm when ambient is 15 deg C or lower . Knocks from front of car (suspension or dif ?) . Does not like to drop a wheel over corrugations when opposite side is on smooth tar (front only). Rear of car has odd click sound and feel when moving very slowly , as when idling forward in stop start traffic .
All seem to have noisy transmissions of sorts . One owner said his rear uprights , behind back seats where only finger tight .
But , car is strong , just noisy .
Dont worry it will stay togeather , but I think they need love and attention .

Ray
Old 20 October 2002, 07:38 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Tony
Don't sell it too cheap - it's Canada.....the $ is about 2.37 so the PPP is equivalent CAD 4,740
Old 20 October 2002, 09:08 AM
Re-Volt
Scooby Regular

hi

yeh the 2nd gear isnt smooth like other gears rgadless if its warm or not in my case. i thought it could be the oil and may be the running in.

Raybotha, what is the reason of the clicking sound fom the car rear on moving slowly ??! i hear it clearly as well.

regards ..
Old 20 October 2002, 01:36 PM
raybotha
Scooby Regular

Yep seems like they all have it . Not sure what but feels like the diff to me . I can feel the rear of the car rise in unison with the sound . It hasn't got any worse and my brothers new one did it too . Apart from all the front diff whines etc. the car is a joy and reminds me of a touring car with all its sound effects . As I said someone found their rear strut towers loose (bolts finger tight) maybe its that . I looked quickely but could not identify them looking in the boot .
I also found all my intake hose clamps "finger tight" . Car boosts more reliably now . Maybe the car needs someone with a torque wrench and a good going over . I am going to change my box oil with Castrol Syntrax , the guy's on here have had good reports with it .

Ray
Old 20 October 2002, 01:47 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

No problems or noises at all with mine but have currently only done 2.5k miles....

Matt

Trending Topics

Old 20 October 2002, 02:56 PM
raybotha
Scooby Regular

Beats walking to the shops 'eh Matt .

Old 20 October 2002, 06:30 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Ray,
Make sure the knocking isn't coming from the doors bouncing in the door locking mechanisum I live in cr4p tarmac county and found mine was worse with the windows down

Tony
Old 20 October 2002, 06:38 PM
BlueSTi
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Thanks guys..

There are rumours of the STi coming to Canada in 2003 as a 2004MY. I have placed a fully refundable deposit on one just to hold my place but if the car never comes I'll have to look at other options.

The reason I asked about the Tranny is that I'm kinda nervous about the regular WRX tranny and so am "holding out" for the STi should it ever actually get here.

When and if the next STi does come here it will be interesting to note how different it will be from the STi 7 from a mechnical perspective.

I read somewhere that Subaru and STi were addressing the "before turbo" performance and that the new changes will be present on the new facelifted STi.

Furthermore rumours also suggest a new front-end geometry set up that is borrowed from the S202 STi on the new facelifted version of the WRX STi.

I'll have to wait and see I guess.