Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2002, 11:26 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi folks,

I am not a happy bunny

Despite having a major, major service less than 4000 miles ago, I still have a nasty issue with the kangaroo fuel effect when on full charge sometimes.

Originally, when I bought the second scoob, she had a violent hesitation in most gears at around 5-5.5krpm. During the service, all 4 coil packs were replaced with new ones at my request and plugs too. 2 of the original packs were diagnosed as fubared.

The problem was a lot better now, but still occasionally happened.

Now there are a couple of stretches of good long straight 'private track' around here where you can feel pretty safe stretching the Scoob's legs, which I do once in a blue moon. But I now never go over 120 in fifth for fear of the violent hesitation However. She seems to do it once at that speed from memory then will keep going, but with reduced power/ acceleration, I always drop off the power anyway when she does it at that speed.

Now, I get it far more often when dropping down from fifth to fourth to really power past something. Yesterday morning, dropped gear and floored it. violent stop,go,stop,go,stop,go from the old girl. I didn't hang around to see how many more times she would do it and dropped back into fifth . Unfortunatly, when she does do it, I am to busy sorting it to look at the boost guage etc...

I do have one idea of what it may be though. My peak boost is on the verge of 1.3 BAR (STI2) and the car used to peak and hold very high pressure too when high in the revs. Now that the temps are coming down, I have upped the fuelling slighty throughout the range as well. I believe that the fuel cut is 1.26 on this girl.

I desperatly want to get this sorted as I don't want to zoom about all of the time by any means, but I don't want the car playing up on me or damaging anything when I do give her a real squirt.

Cheers in advance,

Nick
Old 19 October 2002, 12:30 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Sounds like a bit of overboosting to me

Tony
Old 20 October 2002, 03:28 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

How can it be overboost though when I am not seeing any spikes on the boost guage at all?

She peaks initially at about 1.3 bar, then runs about 0.9-1 bar when flat out. it doesn't do it when the boost peaks, but only when foot to the floor in fourth and fifth above 5000 rpm's.

I had it again about 3 or 4 times yesterday on a motorway run

Cheers,

Nick

Old 21 October 2002, 09:32 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Anyone with any other ideas?

Cheers,

Nick